Thread: Network Manager and LSB thin issues at boot (macbook air 2013)

Network Manager and LSB thin issues at boot (macbook air 2013)

As part of re-learning linux (not really played for a few years), I've put Kali (latest) on a 2013 Macbook Air.

I've done all the rEFInd dual boot and got the wireless network card working, but when it boots in to Kali I have 2 errors:

A start job is running for Network Manager; and
    A start job is running for LSB Thin initscript

I've searched the internet first and I've disabled NetworkManager and tried systemd-networkd, the errors go away but then of course I have no network interface (unless I manually configure it I suppose). I've set the timeouts low (5 seconds) but it makes no difference. It will eventually boot after 90 seconds or so and give an error about Network Manager failed to start. Or I can ctrl-C it and it will boot straight away. Either way, Network Manager works and I can see wifi networks.

I'm at a loss and can't find anything else on the internet. So I've come here

What can I try?

thanks!

Nik

Quote Originally Posted by NikTheGeek View Post
    As part of re-learning linux (not really played for a few years), I've put Kali (latest) on a 2013 Macbook Air.

I've done all the rEFInd dual boot and got the wireless network card working, but when it boots in to Kali I have 2 errors:

A start job is running for Network Manager; and
    A start job is running for LSB Thin initscript

I've searched the internet first and I've disabled NetworkManager and tried systemd-networkd, the errors go away but then of course I have no network interface (unless I manually configure it I suppose). I've set the timeouts low (5 seconds) but it makes no difference. It will eventually boot after 90 seconds or so and give an error about Network Manager failed to start. Or I can ctrl-C it and it will boot straight away. Either way, Network Manager works and I can see wifi networks.

I'm at a loss and can't find anything else on the internet. So I've come here

What can I try?

thanks!

Nik
    I have the same issue for which I haven't found a solution yet. But I did notice that Esc can also be pressed as well as Ctrl-c to bypass the wait. Everything works perfectly after booting/login. It seems that this issue might be caused by systemd conflicts while the services are being started.

I did an grade last night and didn't have the issue. I just did another upgrade and the issue showed itself. Ctrl-c worked for me.

MacBook Pro mid 2009, Kali in a VirtualBox VM.

Oh well, glad it's not just me

If anyone get's an answer, please post. It's just really annoying more than anything...

thanks!

Nik

Quote Originally Posted by NikTheGeek View Post
    Oh well, glad it's not just me

If anyone get's an answer, please post. It's just really annoying more than anything...

thanks!

Nik
    Nik, it must have been the dist-upgrade I performed last night, but this issue doesn't appear anymore, no matter how many restarts I do. Boot-up times are super fast again. See if that works for you.

-Thinkpad X220 with Kali natively installed.

I am in the exact same situation. Thanks for the Ctrl+C workaround

(Current Kali 2016.2 and last weekly release, on a Thinkpad X220)

If someone has found the cause or solution to this problem, I am also interested

Any solution to this one ?

i had the same errors (hangup while booting: waiting for network manager, lsb thin client etc.). i aborted this with ctrl-c and the gui loaded. after that i just upgrade the system and it finally works like a charm

I started topic: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...job-is-running
    I hope we can get some solution for this problem here