Thread: Black screen when booting from CD

Question Black screen when booting from CD

Recently, I decided to install Kali linux onto the new laptop that I had gotten. After burning Kali Linux onto a DVD-RW via "Active ISO Burner" I put the disc in my computer, went into my BIOS and arranged the proper boot order, and prepared to launch.

However, I hear the disc drive running indicating that it is detecting the disc, but all I get is a black screen, I do not receive the graphical install menu with the usual options you'd expect, just a black screen. I have no other linux, or GRUB installed on my computer, so I don't believe a problem could be with that (however, if you think I might be wrong please don't hesitate to let me know).

I know the disc isn't bad because to test it, I downloaded a Fedora distro, and it booted into it just fine. My specs are as follows (just in case it's a hardware problem): NVIDIA GeForce 940M, I7-4600u, 8 GB ram.

All help is appreciated

Make sure you try both options (SATA6G and UEFI) boot options on the boot menu. SATA6G didn't work for me but UEFI mode finally worked for me and popped the installation setup
    PS: after installation, I get the black screen, but it will get you a little further

Quote Originally Posted by jasperan View Post
    Make sure you try both options (SATA6G and UEFI) boot options on the boot menu. SATA6G didn't work for me but UEFI mode finally worked for me and popped the installation setup
    PS: after installation, I get the black screen, but it will get you a little further
    Boot menu? Are you referring to the BIOS?

Quote Originally Posted by jasperan View Post
    I have a regular HP bios and the only boot protocol options I have are ipv4 and ipv6 UEFI. I've tried both but neither work! Thank you by the way for your help so far! I've searched high and low yet I can't find any actual fix pertaining to my situation

Well your GFX is probably whats causing the issue. Kali is a fantastic OS, but doesn't work with all the right hardware. I'm assuming you have a ASUS computer?

Also, CD's are good if you plan on making this an OS on your computer. If not, I would go the USB route. Whichever you want to go, let me know and I can give you a decent guide on getting this on your computer but if you're just starting out I would HIGHLY advise doing a USB, just from personal experience.