Thread: KaliLinux on a vm or as dualboot

KaliLinux on a vm or as dualboot

Hi!

I recently installed Kali Linux on my pc next to windows 10(dual boot)
    But I was wondering can I run Kali Linux to it's maximum potential on a VM( assuming I have the right hardware).

For example, while I encounter any network sniffing problems because I am connected via a vm that is connected to my Windows host. Or any network related issue's?
    Because I think I would prefer running Kali Linux on a VM so I can easily multi task between Windows and Kali Linux.

Hardware:
    16GB of ddr4 RAM
    nvidia 970
    ssd 250gb (sata connected)
    I7 CPU
    1GB hdd

And my host software would be Windows 10 pro

I don't know if you would need to know the hardware information but I figured I would include it.

Ps: I am still A kali Linux noob nor is english my native language so sorry for any stupid mistakes in the post^^
    And if running Kali Linux in a vm is just as good as running it as a host OS, what software should I use to virtualize I only know VMware and Virtualbox and HyperV(Although I have not used HyperV before)
    Last edited by IcyeneNL; 2016-09-28 at 11:37.

I think it depends on your primary use of Kali. If it's mostly wireless work, I would definitely go native install (wireless in a VM has always been problematic for me).

Personally, I have 2 Kali installs in use: a dual boot, and a VM. Kali functions best for me as a native install on hard disk, but some tasks are easier in a virtual machine.

Yea I was afraid there would be some wireless issues in a VM, But it is kind of annoying to switch between Kali And Windows that is why I thought about running it in a VM but if I for example can't run a tool like wireshark properly on it the whole point of Linux Kali is kind of gone. Do you have any tips that could maybe help me?

With the exception of wireless, I've never had any trouble with a VM Kali install. Wireshark, and all other tools I use work fine. My day-to-day work is mostly with a hard drive Kali install, so I don't have to do much switching between it and Windows.

As far as tips...if you have a laptop, I'd suggest putting a dual-boot of Kali/Windows there, and run Kali in a VM on a PC.