Thread: How to fix black screen issue? No BIOS option for displays.

Question How to fix black screen issue? No BIOS option for displays.

So I bought a new Dell laptop and I wanted to install Kali on it. There's some kind of configuration issue where Kali does not detect the laptop screen. The machine I think is set to use the primary laptop screen and the HDMI. Kali doesn't know which one to use so it just black screens after boot. Some laptops you can fix issues like this in the BIOs. The new Dell BIOs really sucks and you can't.

Questions:

1. Is there a boot parameter I can use? if so what is it?

2. Is there a config file I can write into that will handle this? And secondly can I fix this in some config file if I live build my ISO and make it "just work" on first boot?

Keep in mind I didn't go to Linux college like some of you guys.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Disable fast boot so you can press f8 at start up.
    power on, then press f8:
    Disable secure boot
    Enable Legacy

Legacy boot is the only way Kali will install on this machine. The EFI thing doesn't like Debian at all. I don't see what this has to do with with the display issue.

Is it a configuration file in the X11 folder I should edit? I really don't like messing with stuff unless I need to.

So nobody else ever tried to install on a newer Dell? I tried it again and installed the latest version. I get a shell at least now. If I try to startx it just black screens. There are two displays. One is the laptop screen and the other is the HDMI. For whatever reason Kali won't either display. I think in the hardware it's just set to auto and there isn't a bios setting for it so it's kinda stuck without a default display which to me is a failure because of Dell. I've seen people come up with various solutions for this problem. Just not one that works on this particular system.

It works with Ubuntu. What is different about the way that Ubuntu selects displays versus Debian? Maybe that will shed light on this. Something just isn't working right.

I don't recommend to enable Legacy BIOS. It creates lot of boot problems.

I am having the same problem. I have a HP running windows 10 and have been trying to set it up to dual boot. When i go to run Kali Live i get into the desktop mode and after 30 seconds the screen goes black. I have tried creating a Bootable UBS using Win32, Rufus EFI mods and even universal USB installer. All end in the same result. i have also tried creating the USB in kali-linux-2016.2-amd64, kali-linux-2016.1-amd64, and kali-linux-2016.2-i386. All ending in the same result. I have disabled secure boot and enabled legacy boot. Still no joy. EUFI is still the primary BIOS before legacy kicks in so enabling legacy didn't do much. I even wiped the hard drive on my laptop after making a bootable windows 10 usb and tried to install Kali by itself. Nothing stops the screen from going black.

maybe there is a comparability issues that you guys know about that i don't i am still new at this. Not sure if this is a helpful tidbit but the same thing happens when i tried to install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS so its not just a Kali Linux/Debian thing for me.

once again i have the following hardware:
    Display Adapter : AMD Radeon(TM) R6 Graphics
    Imaging Device: HP Truevision HD
    Processors: AMD A-10-8700P Radeon R6

I installed Kali Linux on my older computer with no issues i never expected to have this much trouble with a new computer. Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

I'm pretty sure it's just a boot parameter that needs to be added. It's just nobody seems to know what it is. I think it's a matter of getting the display information and passing to a parameter at boot. I'm just not sure how to do this. Or there's just some configuration file that need edited. You'd think one of these uber_1337 hax0rs would know how to make Linux boot. But no love.

Why does every other Linux in the world run on this laptop but Kali doesn't?
    Last edited by vailixi; 2017-01-25 at 04:03.