Thread: Kali Linux Live Boot from USB 3.0 Thumbdrive

Kali Linux Live Boot from USB 3.0 Thumbdrive

I am wondering if there are known issues with Kali 2016.2 not booting from a USB that may be using USB 3.0.

I made a live install USB (one on a USB 2.0 and one on a USB 3.0) and the 2.0 is the only one that seems to be working. I did the same thing for both when creating.

The 3.0 stick when I try to load from boot override in the bios just gives me a blinking white cursor.

When I immediately try the 2.0 one it works without flaw (not changing anything in BIOS).

They were both plugged into the same port in the back when test was done (also tried plugging the 3.0 into any USB port I had in the back of the PC).

Any help would be appreciated. I'm new to Linux and Kali (learning as I go to school).

Interesting. I have been having a **** of a time trying to get mine to work. It's a USB 3.0 Drive. I don't have 2.0 drives laying around to try it. I posted a detailed post in "Installing Kali Linux". What is it not doing? or is it doing?

Mine refuses to boot with secure boot mode despite it supposedly being out of the box ready.

I am not sure if it was just a bad drive or an issue with USB 3.0. I took it back and got a 2.0 drive instead that is 64GB.

I am solely convinced it was the 3.0 aspect of it not working. Like I said, I did everything the same and the older 2.0 worked just find and the 3.0 didn't work period. I tried changing every setting I could think of in BIOS and that didn't help at all.

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
    Interesting. I have been having a **** of a time trying to get mine to work. It's a USB 3.0 Drive. I don't have 2.0 drives laying around to try it. I posted a detailed post in "Installing Kali Linux". What is it not doing? or is it doing?

Mine refuses to boot with secure boot mode despite it supposedly being out of the box ready.