Thread: Kali 2016.2 not installing GRUB?

Question Kali 2016.2 not installing GRUB?

I started installing kali linux so that I could dual boot it with my Windows 10 OS. I go through the usual steps. I allow the graphic installer to auto partition it into a swap and EXT4. It then claims to be installing grub. However, one thing that makes me curious, is that it doesn't even detect windows bootloader like it usually does and ask if I'd like to add Grub as the master bootloader, it just says that it installed successfully without asking that. I then let the install finish and restart. However, it boots to Windows as if grub wasn't installed. I go into my device's OS bootloader manager only to find that the Kali linux grub installer isn't even there. I tried installing regular Ubuntu and it installed GRUB for that perfectly fine. However, even with grub for Ubuntu installed it refuses to detect Kali Linux, even when the partition exists. I've tried manually setting up the Kali drives as well to be safe. I've even tried setting up 4 partition for /boot, /, /home, and swap to see if it would accept that, all to no avail. If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix the problem, do not hesitate to let me know!

I too am having this issue, I've been trying to dual boot it all night, I've dealt with other issues, I feel like this will be the last problem, I just need to be able to boot it. I have also tried Ubuntu, and yes, it does install grub just fine, weird. I did manage to get to the end of the install process and have it ask to install grub as the main boot loader, but just once, and I can't remember what I did; I had to format it and reinstall. I'll try to repeat my previous processes and get back to you if I can.

Edit: I seem to get the option to install it, but only if I boot it with legacy. But I prefer to use ufi.
    Last edited by Necrotizing Fasciitis; 2016-10-02 at 15:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrotizing Fasciitis View Post
    I too am having this issue, I've been trying to dual boot it all night, I've dealt with other issues, I feel like this will be the last problem, I just need to be able to boot it. I have also tried Ubuntu, and yes, it does install grub just fine, weird. I did manage to get to the end of the install process and have it ask to install grub as the main boot loader, but just once, and I can't remember what I did; I had to format it and reinstall. I'll try to repeat my previous processes and get back to you if I can.

Edit: I seem to get the option to install it, but only if I boot it with legacy. But I prefer to use ufi.
    Yeah it seems like the universe just doesn't want me to dual boot. I've had to go through about 5 other problems with dual booting linux in general before I was able to get to this point. It's the last problem for me as well. Also, yeah I wouldn't wanna use legacy either since my Windows 10 copy runs on UEFI. What's weird is the partition exists! In ubuntu installer, the partition shows "KALI GNU LINUX" it just won't load into Ubuntu grub or install it's own bootloader!

Arrow Progress

I'm following this, which looks very promising; booting from the image they are providing (with a USB) shows both my windows and grub boot loaders as booting options while in EFI mode. Though I've run into an issue, I'm getting stuck on
    Code:
    apt-get install --reinstall grub-efi
    When I type that in, it returns:
    Code:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Package grub-efi is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    However the following packages replace it:
      grub2-common grub-common

E: Package 'grub-efi' has no installation candidate
    Edit: I kind of like having a sort of "USB key" for Kali. Since the boot loader isn't working properly, but the OS is properly installed, I can only access Kali with the third-party boot loader USB drive.

One day I'll get it fully installed.
    Last edited by Necrotizing Fasciitis; 2016-10-03 at 10:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrotizing Fasciitis View Post
    I'm following this, which looks very promising; booting from the image they are providing (with a USB) shows both my windows and grub boot loaders as booting options while in EFI mode. Though I've run into an issue, I'm getting stuck on
    Code:
    apt-get install --reinstall grub-efi
    When I type that in, it returns:
    Code:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Package grub-efi is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    However the following packages replace it:
      grub2-common grub-common

E: Package 'grub-efi' has no installation candidate
    Edit: I kind of like having a sort of "USB key" for Kali. Since the boot loader isn't working properly, but the OS is properly installed, I can only access Kali with the third-party boot loader USB drive.

One day I'll get it fully installed.
    Has using a bootload editor such as BSD edit worked for you at all? I get no results on my end, but you might have better luck!

Quote Originally Posted by tornado711 View Post
    Has using a bootload editor such as BSD edit worked for you at all? I get no results on my end, but you might have better luck!
    No, I've tried that before, no luck there. I've been using the third-party boot loader for now, you can take the USB stick out and it will still work because the OS is fine. I didn't like running the live version, persistence wasn't working for me. I'm still trying though.
    Following that site, I still can't use the "apt-get" up there, but all the other commands work just fine. os-prober says otherwise: http://imgur.com/unAtme8.png

Hei, I post here because i've a question that I think it's related to the argument.

Yesterday I installed Kali Linux on my laptop, dual booting with ubuntu. At the end it asked me if I would install GRUB, but as I read, GRUB was installed yet on ubuntu, so I pressed no. When it finished, the GRUB menu didn't show the kali linux option, but just ubuntu and the old distro that was installed on the partition where i installed kali. Now i've formatted all and gonna do it again in order to make it work properly. I use kali 2016.1 32-bit.

Another small question: when i installed ubuntu, it created a logical swap partition on sda5. When I install kali can I use that partition as swap without formatting it or i should create another one? As I read, swap partition should be use to share files between the distros installed on the computer right?

Guys I am experiencing similar problems
    http://www.kali-linux.fr/forum/index.php?topic=1009.0
    But this looks promising to me more than any of the guides out there.
    Its in french so translate to eng and try to follow it. After using it I am atleast able to get to grub screen. (Some problems remain)

Note: Though grub must be installed on the partition selected for boot (ESF) in my case it automatically installed somewhere. So yeah it is foolproof.

Crucx: Manual partitions seem to help

Will update soon...

When you dual boot kali-linux with windows 10, in graphical installation always choose the unallocated partition to install kali. Create unallocated partition before installation. If you still choose to install it on your desired located partition make sure "Bootable Flag" is ON.

If your grub boot loader gets removed somehow after the installation, boot into Kali live USB and reinstall it from the terminal. For dual boot the recommended option is to install grub in the EFI partition.

UEFI based systems create entries of boot loaders in their own NVRAM so grub doesn't overwrite windows boot loader and windows doesn't overwrite grub.

Boot loader with the first priority will boot its own OS when the machine is turned ON and to boot second OS you have to go to the boot menu.

Make sure Legacy BIOS and Secure BOOT are disabled. Keeping this simple knowledge you will not face any trouble.