Thread: Kali Linux does not boot in UEFI from USB

Exclamation Kali Linux does not boot in UEFI from USB

I recently downloaded Kali Linux (2016.2) iso. I want to run Kali Live. Using UUI I wrote the iso to a 64GB flash drive. The flash drive was formatted to FAT32 by UUI. After restarting my computer to UEFI I tried to boot the flash drive on the temporary boot screen. When I press enter on the flash drive (to boot it) the screen "blinks" and it just continues to display boot options. I retried this process a few times, re-downloaded Kali iso, used a few different programs to try and create the bootable USB, yet nothing works. Any suggestions? Please let me know if I need to include more information.

My OS is Windows 10

Cool

I am encountering the same problems. I am currently using Linux, and I used dd to write the iso to my usb just as indicated. I tried to use my friend's windows to write it through both Rufus and win32diskimager without success. I am wondering what is causing all this problem, as UEFI is said to be supported in 2.0. Also, I would mention that I have GPT. Can anyone help?

Hello, you need to access to BIOS, you can do it by pressing F2 (or whatever is the hotkey provided by your vendor). When you entered in BIOS you need to disable Secure Boot and pass from UEFI to LEGACY, after you have to set the boot priority setting as first the boot device you need (cd/dvd or USB).
    Hope i could help you, by the way you can easily find on google how to access in your pc's bios and how to disable secure boot and enable legacy.

best regards, Genjy.

I tried this on a Systems76 laptop which is running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I had both Ubuntu and Kali installed and then I switched from my legacy BIOS to my UEFI and then neither system would load. I got stuck on a black screen with no mouse or input control. I was able to get back into my BIOS and set it back to the legacy, but again all I got was a black screen. I reinstalled my Ubuntu from another USB and have been searching ever since then to try to figure out how I can get both Ubuntu and Kali on my laptop. I am also open to any suggestions.

I dual-boot kali linux by keeping legacy BIOS disabled from the start because enabling legacy BIOS is not recommended when you dual boot on windows 10 UEFI system.

Quote Originally Posted by br0kenb0x View Post
    I recently downloaded Kali Linux (2016.2) iso. I want to run Kali Live. Using UUI I wrote the iso to a 64GB flash drive. The flash drive was formatted to FAT32 by UUI. After restarting my computer to UEFI I tried to boot the flash drive on the temporary boot screen. When I press enter on the flash drive (to boot it) the screen "blinks" and it just continues to display boot options. I retried this process a few times, re-downloaded Kali iso, used a few different programs to try and create the bootable USB, yet nothing works. Any suggestions? Please let me know if I need to include more information.

My OS is Windows 10
    Try to disable your secure boot option under eufi that way you can boot any other operating system other than your computers main software system.

Coming to your problem Yes using win32diskmanager will corrupt your USB but it will work for UEFI and if it does not work try a different USB.
    Rufus will not make your USB bootable for Kali Linux(if your laptop is in UEFI mode) as Kali Linux directly does not support UEFI install. If you want to continue using Rufus/UUI you will have to make EFI/BOOT folder and put BOOTx64.EFI and grubx64.efi after writing your USB. But here you will have to manually install Kali Linux from GRUB terminal.
    And if nothing works try Grub2win for installation.
    Hope it helps you

Quote Originally Posted by GamingDUck View Post
    Rufus will not make your USB bootable for Kali Linux(if your laptop is in UEFI mode) as Kali Linux directly does not support UEFI install. If you want to continue using Rufus you will have to make EFI/BOOT folder and put BOOTx64.EFI and grubx64.efi after writing your USB. But here you will have to manually install Kali Linux from GRUB terminal.
    I used Rufus for kali-linux bootable USB. It hardly takes any effort to copy efi files. I did graphical install. Are you sure it requires Grub terminal? In kali-rolling I don't think manual installation is ever used.