Thread: Kali 4.7.0 freezes/hangs after login screen, only works with acpi=off

Kali 4.7.0 freezes/hangs after login screen, only works with acpi=off

I have installed/reinstalled Kali a bunch of times. I have checked the MD5 sums and they match so my iso is good.

I just bought a new laptop Asus GL552vw (http://store.asus.com/us/item/201510AM170008064/A17602) details at the bottom of the page on what hardware is in it.

The problem I faced after numerous successful installs is once at the login screen > root > my password > the mouse pointer freezes, and thats it. Stays with the "concrete grey" background and hangs.

I have got a fix to be able to boot into gnome, however I don't have my I/O peripherals working properly I.E. key board function keys, the keyboard lighting, and the mouse touch pad does not work. The work around I found to get gnome to boot is update grub with "acpi=off."

I have booted into recovery mode and did just about every workaround I could search for to include the Kali nvidia driver install. After each attempt, I did a clean install.

The current fix for me is in recovery, edit the grub config file adding acpi=off, then doing an apt-get update, dist-upgrade, reboot.

I really am at a loss, I have been using this OS since betty5 days and have always found a solution.

My OS boots with acpi=off, however I do not know what is actually working and not, (my gpu or the integrated Intel). My mouse touch pad does not work at all and I only have basic keyboard functions.

This is not a I/O problem, but a graphics driver problem, because when I had my Toshiba laptop (with Optimums) I had a similar problem.

I would like to have a clean install, with minimal changes to the os, and have everything work. Once I find that solution I can set up my dual boot with win 10 and have a final complete setup.

http://pastebin.com/ZVYqPaSH

Thank you for you time,

ab cde.
    Last edited by maiki; 2016-10-11 at 11:45. Reason: Merge posts

use pastebin to post long logs .

logs posted

I am having the exact same issue with this MSI laptop w/the same GPU: Nvidia 960M ; and have tried for 2 weeks on and off using every method I could find / put together.
    Will only boot to gnome with "nomodeset pci=noacpi" options, otherwise I get a hung screen after successful login.

No Nvidia driver walkthrough has worked successfully for me so far; It's been fun tinkering with it to get it to work, but now I just wanna throw it in the lake

Yeah I got it working with acpi=off, however today I did a fresh install and first thing I did was at the login screen ctrl+alt f3 to get out of the gui in tty3 and ran:

sed 's/quiet/quiet nouveau.modeset=0/g' -i /etc/default/grub
    update-grub
    reboot

Then booted normal and did the apt-get update, upgrade, dist-upgrade.

I haven't tried installing the nvidia drivers yet but this fix definitely works for me at the moment. I think it's just running off the Intel integrated card at the moment but couldn't find out had to go to work.