I'm currently dual-booting OSX Mavericks and Win7 on a late-2010 MacBook Air. I am using rEFInd 0.10.4 as my bootloader. I am trying to run Kali Live 2016.2 from a USB, but not having much success. I am able to run it from a DVD-R with the 2016.2 ISO, but not from a USB.

I have used both dd from within OSX and Win32 Disk Imager from within Win7 to burn the Kali 2016.2 64-bit ISO onto a 16GB SanDisk Ultra thumbdrive. I plug the USB drive into the MBA prior to turning on the power, and when I power the machine on it goes into the rEFInd boot menu. The boot menu shows the USB drive as a legacy OS from FAT volume, just like these instructions. But when I click on the icon the machine boots into the Win7 partition on the HDD, not Kali. The USB is not corrupt because I plugged the same USB into an HP Envy running Win10 and it booted into Kali no problem. I know the MBA can run Kali because I burned the same ISO to a DVD-R, plugged my superdrive into the MBA, and rEFInd launched Kali from the DVD-R and it ran fine.

The issue seems to be rEFInd not seeing or interpreting the files inside EFI/BOOT/ properly, or something like that. I tried doing a manual loader entry in my refind.conf inside OSX, but I wasn't sure what path to use for the loader file. I tried loading straight from /live/vmlinuz, which didn't work. I tried also loading from /EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi (which is on the ISO), but that didn't work either. I've tried resetting the MBR from inside Win7 using the repair features on the install disk, in case something with the Win7 MBR was overriding rEFInd in some way, but that didn't help either.

If anyone has been successful in getting Kali to boot off a USB on this hardware, or has any thoughts as to what might be causing it to go into Win7 and not into Kali from rEFInd, I'd be very grateful for your input.

Thanks!