Thread: Graphical and Command Line Install Screens Both Unreadable

Graphical and Command Line Install Screens Both Unreadable

I managed to resolve my issues with getting Kali 2016.2 to run as a persistent Live OS from a USB on my late-2010 MacBook Air. I'd like to move on to installing it to the hard drive so I can dual-boot OS X and Kali, but therein lies the rub.

I can read the initial Kali boot menu. But when I try to install using either the graphical or text options, the screen becomes completely garbled and unreadable. I had seen this referenced in an earlier post, but there was no resolution so I'm re-posting it. Again, Kali itself runs fine on my computer. Whatever nouveau drivers it comes with are just fine for me to use the Live OS. But for some reason the screen becomes completely garbled when I choose either of the install options. I looked in the Kali bug report repository but didn't see anything listed as either pending or resolved. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? I was thinking of trying to initiate the install via command line and sending it some parameters to get a pretty vanilla video card option, but don't see this anywhere as a choice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds like it's definitely video card or vid card drivers. While I haven't done it, you may be able to work around the problem by building your own Kali ISO, and including the necessary drivers there.

Try to use: nouveau.modeset=0