Thread: No sources block showing in gnuradio

Hello

I have installed Kali 2016.2 amd64 to HDD and installed the Kali-sdr metapackage immediately after installing the OS. I have an RTL2832U SDR dongle that works fine with GQRX on linux mint and on this version of kali.

I ran rtl_test after installing the metapackage and it worked fine, the driver loaded and all is well. GQRX works and has audio output, so the driver is working and libsdr is installed and functional.

The kali-sdr metapackage also includes gnuradio but it doesn't show the sources block required to build anything useful while using my rtl dongle.

I have seen the same problem with linux mint and the solution was to install the gr-osmosdr package with apt-get. So I tried to install the package and found it was already installed.

I've purged gnuradio and gr-osmosdr and reinstalled them to try and resolve any dependencies, but the problem persists.

I checked the directory where the relevant files for the blocks are installed and found they were already there. The files are located in usr/share/gnuradio/grc/blocks and the relevent files are osmosdr_sink, osmosdr_src & rtlsdr_src.

I've read many pages on many sites about this and most of them say the solution to not having a sources block is to install the gr-osmosdr package which I already have.

If anyone knows of any dependencies I need or anything I'm doing wrong I'd love to hear from you.

UPDATE 1:
    Tonight I tried a fresh bare metal install of kali 2016.2 amd64 and tried to install the gnuradio with apt-get rather than using the metapackage kali-linux-sdr, in an attempt to isolate where things are being handled differently to linux mint.

I found that the gr-osmosdr package is being installed with the gnuradio package when gnuradio is installed with apt-get on kali. On other distros the gr-osmosdr package has to be installed after the gnuradio package is installed. I'm way too drunk to investigate ATM but it seems like a build option is set to not include the rtlsdr for gnuradio even though it does install the required block file in /usr/share/gnuradio/grc/blocks.

Maybe it would all work automagically for a hack rf one but the rtlsdr was overlooked in the scripted make options for gnuadio on kali. That statement is totally unfounded though as I don't have a hack rf one to test it.

UPDATE 2:
    As it turns out the block is there and it is functional, it's just not visible in the panel on the right where I expected it to be.

All I had to do was go to view > find blocks and type in rtl into the search box.

I should have looked a bit harder before I posted this thread,
    Last edited by maiki; 2016-10-27 at 07:44. Reason: Merge posts