Thread: Freeze Lock Screen on Kali running in a VM (Virtualbox)

Freeze Lock Screen on Kali running in a VM (Virtualbox)

First at all, I'm going to try to make this post as the rules request.
    Please excuse me if I don't have all the requisites, but I'm going to try again, and I understand the importance of the rules.

Right now my config is:

Host OS: Windows 10 x64 on a Asus Laptop i3 / 12 GBRAM
    VirtualBox: Last version until today /w guest additions
    Kali Linux: 2016.2 x64 amd (Full iso)
    VM: Linux Debian64, 128MB Video Ram, 4GB Ram, 80GB Hard Disk Space (I test the pre-build Virtualbox ISO and gives me the same problem)
    Antivirus: Kaspersky Total Security (But I disable it during all the instalation and update/upgrade)

I always had use Kali on a VM on my laptop, and always has runs okay. Periodacly I make a full format of the disk and reinstall the Windows and all my apps.

The last time I made all like always:

1. Install Virtualbox and the additions.
    2. Install Kali inside a VM in VIrtualbox
    3. Use the command:
    HTML Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get install virtualbox-guest-x11
    reboot
    apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y && apt-get dist-upgrade -y
    reboot
    After all this, when the VM starts and load Kali, all the screen adjust and resolution works fine in the VM, but when Kali gets to the lock screen (the one that you have to put your username and then password) it's where somenthing happen. When I start writing the username nothing happens on the username box, you can't see the characters, but if you write it and then press enter and write the password and press enter again, the system continues to the desktop screen, so probably somenthing happens with the graphics just in that screen, because obviosly it's getting the username/password data.

After Kali loads the Desktop, all looks fine, but still can feel that the OS it's like a kind slow/freeze.

Anyelse had experiment somenthing like this? Why this is the first time that happened to me with the same machine and software?

I hope someone can help me, because I'm fixing to start some pentesting lab in my machine and can't figure it out what's going wrong.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by boba.fett View Post
    First at all, I'm going to try to make this post as the rules request.
    Please excuse me if I don't have all the requisites, but I'm going to try again, and I understand the importance of the rules.

Right now my config is:

Host OS: Windows 10 x64 on a Asus Laptop i3 / 12 GBRAM
    VirtualBox: Last version until today /w guest additions
    Kali Linux: 2016.2 x64 amd (Full iso)
    VM: Linux Debian64, 128MB Video Ram, 4GB Ram, 80GB Hard Disk Space (I test the pre-build Virtualbox ISO and gives me the same problem)
    Antivirus: Kaspersky Total Security (But I disable it during all the instalation and update/upgrade)

I always had use Kali on a VM on my laptop, and always has runs okay. Periodacly I make a full format of the disk and reinstall the Windows and all my apps.

The last time I made all like always:

1. Install Virtualbox and the additions.
    2. Install Kali inside a VM in VIrtualbox
    3. Use the command:
    HTML Code:
    apt-get update
    apt-get install virtualbox-guest-x11
    reboot
    apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y && apt-get dist-upgrade -y
    reboot
    After all this, when the VM starts and load Kali, all the screen adjust and resolution works fine in the VM, but when Kali gets to the lock screen (the one that you have to put your username and then password) it's where somenthing happen. When I start writing the username nothing happens on the username box, you can't see the characters, but if you write it and then press enter and write the password and press enter again, the system continues to the desktop screen, so probably somenthing happens with the graphics just in that screen, because obviosly it's getting the username/password data.

After Kali loads the Desktop, all looks fine, but still can feel that the OS it's like a kind slow/freeze.

Anyelse had experiment somenthing like this? Why this is the first time that happened to me with the same machine and software?

I hope someone can help me, because I'm fixing to start some pentesting lab in my machine and can't figure it out what's going wrong.

Thank you.
    I had the same problem. My workaround is use kernel 4.6.0 instead 4.7.0 but virtualbox guest addition dont start up

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by platonbjs View Post
    I had the same problem. My workaround is use kernel 4.6.0 instead 4.7.0 but virtualbox guest addition dont start up
    Here too...

Did you made .... ?

apt-get update && apt-get install virtualbox-guest-x11

My problem I think is that I need a Intel HD Video Drive update, but I can find how to install it.

Apparently they fix it on the last update. Was the video driver.