Thread: Kali not Booting after Dist-upgrade

Exclamation Kali not Booting after Dist-upgrade

Hello Kali Linux Forum!

I've been scratching my head for the past couple of days regarding this issue:

After a fresh UEFI install of Kali Linux, I ran a "sudo apt-get update" followed by a "sudo apt-get dist-update" and let it run for about 45 minutes. At the end it said successful, so I restarted my computer.

What my computer now does is it boots to a black screen with text that reads: "Kernel Panic - Not Syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)..." and a whole bunch of other text (I will attach a screenshot).

IMAG0118.jpg

I can't seem to find any resolutions to my issue via Google so any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm quite the beginner when it comes to Linux, so please forgive me

Thanks in advance!
    Jesse

Me too have problem when I will do "apt-get dist-upgrade". It crushes my Kali Linux that i can't repair it and only the one way is install Kali again from USB Drive.

I also have a similar problem. Even made my own thread about it too.

One time i had that type of screen , but i was booting kali from an SD card .
    the way i fixed it was to put that sdcard on other kali pc and run the gparted to check file system errors .
    In my experience those errors could be related to a file system error on an unmounted disk on exit from kali .
    It could be other issue but try to start kali from a DVD and run gparted to check for errors .

I was able to get booted back up after choosing the 4.6 kernel from the advanced bootup menu. Something about 4.7 is not working for me as well

Same problem here...It looks like something is wrong with the kernel: unable to install vbox guest addition (wrong kernel return by uname -r), and then after a dist-upgrade -> black screen...

I have Kali 2016:2 64 bit loaded on my hard drive. The system informed me of an update today (Sunday) so I updated. After the update, the machine boots only into xwindows. I reinstalled the 32 bit version from my USB drive, and after a successful installation, I did the upgrade, and again, the system only boots to xwindows.

Finially, I reloaded the system from my 2016:2 DVD and I am up and running, however, I am not going to do the update until the bug is fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jessesau View Post
    Hello Kali Linux Forum!

I've been scratching my head for the past couple of days regarding this issue:

After a fresh UEFI install of Kali Linux, I ran a "sudo apt-get update" followed by a "sudo apt-get dist-update" and let it run for about 45 minutes. At the end it said successful, so I restarted my computer.

What my computer now does is it boots to a black screen with text that reads: "Kernel Panic - Not Syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)..." and a whole bunch of other text (I will attach a screenshot).

IMAG0118.jpg

I can't seem to find any resolutions to my issue via Google so any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm quite the beginner when it comes to Linux, so please forgive me

Thanks in advance!
    Jesse