Thread: Looking for patterns in strings

Looking for patterns in strings

i have a few strings that i would like to try and find patterns in for word list generation

anyone know of a good way to do this?

if it helps, the strings are HEX characters but are not actually HEX and are 10 characters long

Are you saying that you have a string or strings that were once passwords based on but not limited to hex characters and are trying to find how these passwords were generated.

Suggest you provide examples and more details

MTeams

i have 6 strings that were network keys, they are A-F (caps only) and 0-9 and 10 characters long. i would like to create a word list that has a high probability for success as generating all possible combinations of these keys would take 11TB and i do not have that much storage.

EDIT: i looked, although they use A-F (caps only) and 0-9, they are not actually HEX
    Last edited by St0ner1995; 2016-10-30 at 12:23.

My syntax is a little rusty, but this sounds like a good job for crunch

Here are some solutions

If you do not have storage space do a crunch aircrack-ng passthru

crunch 10 10 "1234567890ABCDEF" | aircrack-ng handshake.cap -e essid -w -

There is also a crunch pyrite passthru others can help you if this solution interests you.

If you have enough storage space you could use crunch to make your wordlist.

Suggest you search Crunch a day with Tape. The author has published two excellant overviews of crunch. If you make a wordlist suggest you break it up into 200,000 blocks. See these tutorials

Your main problem is time. You need to use at least two highend video cards if you want brute force to be practicable. Getting these cards to work under linux may prove difficult therefore;

Mteams suggests you use a windows approach with elcomsoft wireless auditor. Search torrents. Elcomsoft supports a passthru called a mask attack or you can use a precomputed dictionary. It also supports a number of video cards We rarely use linux when conducting brute force attacks.

Finally brute forcing with slow computers falls more and more into social engineering

You could run pure numeric first you might get lucky. Next add the alpha characters as they appear in letter frequency tables.

Musket Teams
    Last edited by mmusket33; 2016-10-31 at 12:35.

i currently use crunch to generate possible codes

is there a way to limit how many of each type of character (E.G. letters or numbers) is in each "word"

Review the tutorials we suggested by Tape. If limiting can be done it will be covered in-depth there.

Another wordlist generator adstar may still be available here.

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ghlight=adstar

You can write the author directly here in these forums for questions on available functions. He/She may respond.

Musket Teams