Thread: can't dual booting "windows 10 - kali linux"

can't dual booting "windows 10 - kali linux"

Hi
    I put Kali Linux 64 bit ISO on USB with rufus, I tested the live version and now I'm trying to install it on hd :
    - I created a 15GB partition
    - I manually selected that partition for installing kali linux on it
    - I skipped swap space and network mirror
    - I tried first to install GRUB on USB for booting kali linux only with it, but didn't work, so I tried to overwrite the windows MBR on hd with GRUB but on startup still appear windows login screen
    I also tried using EasyBCD but unsuccessfully cause I'm booting in EFI mode
    I have legacy boot enabled and Secure Boot disabled

can you help me ?

Thanks!

install grub on the first hdd , it should be /dev/sda and update initramfs , doing this grub will detect kali and windows ,
    when you are installing kali it does that automatically .
    By the way , 15G is nothing , for swap you need 2 to 4G , and after installation it will left only 8G , then you do an update and an upgrade and that space will be reduced to 4G , witch is nothing , you will spend that space in 2 months .
    For any linux , at least 50G .

Thanks for reply

Quote Originally Posted by pedropt View Post
    install grub on the first hdd , it should be /dev/sda
    I did that but still start windows

and update initramfs
    how can I update initramfs?

By the way , 15G is nothing , for swap you need 2 to 4G , and after installation it will left only 8G , then you do an update and an upgrade and that space will be reduced to 4G , witch is nothing , you will spend that space in 2 months .
    I won't do updates, but i did't select any swap space, should I? If it should I dedicate a partition for that ? and how much space do you suggest?

swappiness, etc.

...for swap you need 2 to 4G , and after installation it will left only 8G , then you do an update and an upgrade and that space will be reduced to 4G , witch is nothing , you will spend that space in 2 months .
    Not exactly. For many people, 15GB is adequate, especially on a multiboot system with Windows, as those files can be accessed in Linux, assuming you have PCManFM installed. RE: Swap. Unless you are using image/video editing software, or have less than 2 GB RAM, swap is rarely needed or used--conky or (h)top will confirm this, btw. ESPECIALLY if you have an SSD HDD (highly recommended if you open alot of tabs in your web browser), swappiness should be reduced from the default 60[%] (meaning that Linux will start using the swap file when 40% of RAM has been used) to 6, or even less.
    TO FIND SWAPPINESS:

sysctl vm.swappiness
    or
    cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness

TO SET SWAPPINESS (if >= 2 GB RAM):

[your favorite text editor] /etc/sysctl.conf

Add line: vm.swappiness = 6