I have been messing around trying to get my new laptop to install Kali Linux properly. Kali Linux 2016.2 (rolling i believe its called). I always fully update each installation attempt.

ASUS FZ50VW-NS51:

Intel Core i5-6300HQ 2.3 GHz
8 GB DDR4
GeForce GTX 960M with 2 GB GDDR5
Intel HM170 Express Chipset
Intel 802.11ac wireless NIC
128 GB Samsung m.2 SSD and 1 TB HDD which I removed for testing purposes

So here is the problem it is not a dedicated graphics card, technically I believe it is configured in an NVIDIA optimus arrangement in which the Intel built in graphics card and the NVIDIA card work in tandem to save battery life.
HTML Code:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/optimus_technology.html
So problems I have encountered. Installation goes perfectly with no errors, upon booting into the operating system. I attempt to login as root, it accepts my credentials and the GNOME desktop does not appear it just freezes at a blank grey screen.

I have tried using a live bootable USB version of Kali and it does the same thing. I have also tried utilizing a live disk of Kali but with the XFCE interface instead of GNOME, both gave me the same issue.

The other problem is my system fan sounds like a helicopter is taking off as soon as Kali loads. This is probably because optimus setups run very poorly on Linux (thanks NVIDIA...).

I have tried using lm-sensors and fancontrol but to no resolution. This may be user error on my side though.

I am a Windows administrator, so I am rather tech savy. I had a previous Kali box I used for pentesting but alas it was old and only had a dual core with no NVIDIA graphics card. My computer skills are strong but my Linux Fu is not perfect. So any advice would be appreciated. At this point I have given up and marked the new laptop as a very expensive business paper weight.