Thread: Problems with Live Stick / No Screen signal

Problems with Live Stick / No Screen signal

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and I have a problem..

I have Kali Linux running in my virtual box - No problem so far.
    But I wanted a Live Stick, so I made a Bootable USB Live Stick and tried to start Kali from the Stick. I come to the Boot Menu, select the first entry and hit the Enter Button. The System loads, and when GDM3 should start the screen turns black and gets no signal. I tried all the stuff from google, about the "Black Screen" problems, but nothing works for me...

It's the same with an Ubuntu Live stick, i can go to the boot menu but then i get a black screen. I also have tried on Ubuntu the "nomodeset" (F6), but nothing changed.
    Both sticks works on an other Computer, thats strange.

I think the Problem is my Nvidia Card (GTX 1060 6GB)?
    I tried Displayport and HDMI, nothing works.

Does anyone has a solution for me, or how can I boot from the kali boot menu to a command line? I can do nothing when the screen is black, no CTRL - ALT - F1, F2 etc..
    Can i get some error logs after a fail boot from an other computer?

Greets

Hi Dastef18,

While I certainly wouldn't see this as a fix so to speak, have you tried booting either of the images without your graphics card attached? If not, I'd recommend popping that out for a min and see if Kali and Ubuntu both boot OK. I don't have a great deal of insight into this aspect so I am doing a fair bit of guessing but can't be a bad place to start - it might also be worth attaching your monitor to the on-board graphics with the 1060 in just to make sure (It would seem there is no signal at all being sent from the GPU to display so either Kali / Ubuntu is not working with the 1060 or it's not using that graphics adapter.

Also, I initially had some problems (although I did have HDMI signal) with my Kali setup on an old Pi board - it actually turned out to be a problem with a cheap monitor; if it's working in other systems and you get the same results without the 1060 attached, try changing monitor just to rule out. Let me know how you get on anyway.

Tommo

It is booting now to the Desktop
    Here is my solution:

On boot menu i pressed tab (Live USB Persistence) and added "systemd.unit=multi-user.target". That makes it to boot to text mode without gdm3.
    The next step was to set up the Persistence partition and restart the same way with the boot settings. When persistence worked, I made the following steps:

- apt-get update
    - apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
    - apt-get install nvidia-kernel-$(uname -r)
    - apt-get install nvidia-kernel-dkms
    - apt-get install nvidia-xconfig
    - nvidia-xconfig
    - reboot

After the reboot I started the Live USB Persistence without any modification and GDM3 started.

So it was just a display driver issue.

Greets