Thread: [Kali 2016.2] Screen freezes after login

[Kali 2016.2] Screen freezes after login

Hi, I recently installed Kali Linux next to my Windows 7 installation. When I successfully finished and restarted the computer, I selected Windows in Grub to check if it was still working. It didn't and I had to load the Windows 7 rescue cd, which seemed to fix the problems. Another restart and again selecting Windows and everything was fine. Then I tried to start Kali from Grub. The login screen appeared and I entered root and my password. When I clicked on login, my screen freezed and I couldn't do anything. I've seen many posts about that problem, but I didn't have any success. I think it's something about my graphics card (GTX 960), and drivers are missing.
    Thank you for your help and ask if you need any more details.
    Last edited by Hackbaellchen; 2016-11-09 at 18:07.

Before you even log in. Enter tty (teletype) by pressing CTRL + ALT + F2, 3, 4, etc (whatever gets you to the tty terminal which is just a basic command line). Then login as root in tty. Update your system using "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade".

Once that is done try following the Kali guide to installing NVIDIA drivers, by default Kali uses 3rd party drivers for NVIDIA cards.

http://docs.kali.org/general-use/ins...-on-kali-linux

Thank you for replying! I already updated everything. Your link seemed to be helpful... I typed apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r) followed by apt-get install nvidia-kernel-dkms, but now.. have a look: http://puu.sh/scLHx/72fc62d41a.png CTRL+D does nothing, it outputs these messages every ~25 seconds, for now more than 20 minutes.

You and I are having similar issues. Check out my forum post. Do you happen to have the NVIDIA 960M, do you also have a built in Intel graphics card? I am still unable to get Kali to work with my setup, I am almost certain it is because my laptop has a built in APU as well as dedicated GPU. They call it the NVIDIA optimus arrangement. I have gotten stuck multiple times with the watchdog timeout errors.

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ibility-Issues

EDIT 1:
    I apologize, I realize you pointed out that you owned a GTX 960.

EDIT 2:
    Try reinstalling Kali. Then try turning off ACPI via GRUB, using this guide.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/16003...i-when-booting

This allowed me to boot into Kali's GNOME GUI. I have a hunch it may point you in the right direction.
    Last edited by maiki; 2016-11-10 at 09:45. Reason: Merge posts

I got it working now. The solution was to execute: sed 's/quiet/quiet nouveau.modeset=0/g' -i /etc/default/grub, update grub and reboot. Then I removed nvidia drivers with apt-get purge nvidia-* and deleted the X11 config /etc/X11/xorg.conf. ACPI is enabled by default by my bios and can't be unselected. I did not turn acpi off in grub.

Kali Linux freezing after login

Hey. I have been trying to install kali linux with windows 10 for a while. I have an ASUS laptop with an GTX960M and from what I've seen in some forums this is the cause of my problems.

I noticed that most of the people that have this problem are using kali linux on a VM and this is not my case!

I have the same issue as Hackbaellchen, my kali freezes after the login.

I tried to follow the steps above but when I try to install the kernel headers I just can't. This is what appears:

"Couldnt find any package by glob 'linux-headers-4.6.0-kali1-amd64' "

I have tried a lots of paths to solve this problem but the result is always the same.
    Last edited by Approxish; 2016-12-11 at 23:00.