Thread: Black Screen after booting

Black Screen after booting

Hey guys,
    I am a little helpless here right now. To introduce myself shortly and fast, I am a Linux newbe. I had a little experience with Ubuntu, Puppy, Mint and a few others a little. But only installed it and tried a few things.

Okay, I managed to install Grub Bootloader with Kali Linux successfully booting..., until kali's desktop should appear. So it is booting all things with [OK].

Some facts to know:
    • I don't have an internet connection available until I confirm my identity in the web browser, so I cannot install anything from the web
    • I have an nvidia GTX 1070 and an onboard graphics card (but I prioritized the PCI-E graphics in the UEFI)

I assume my video-card drivers are not really working, if there are any. Are there any known Issues with nvidia GTX 1070?

CPU: Intel i7 3370K
    RAM: 32gb DDR3
    Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LX

EDIT:

Well I downloaded already the latest nvidia drivers for linux. But when I try to install them I get the following error: Unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running kernel. Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your kernel and that they are properly configured; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the 'kernel-source' or 'kernel-devel' RPM installed. If you know the correct kernel source files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the '--kernel-source-path' command line option.

Well I am not quite sure where to go from here on, since I need to do everything manually and I am not really very familiar with the basics of Linux.

So what do I need to do about the kernel to be able to install the nvidia driver: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-367.27.run
    Last edited by The_New_Guy; 2016-11-13 at 20:38.

First off, I commend you for tackling Kali as a linux noob! As I'm sure you're aware, Kali is quite daunting for those new to linux.

That being said, can you do a Ctrl-Alt-F3 to get a console login prompt? If not, I'd try removing Kali, and seeing if you can install a Debian-based distro on this machine. Since Kali is based off Debian, this should give you a good idea if your hardware is compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by The_New_Guy View Post
    EDIT:

Well I downloaded already the latest nvidia drivers for linux. But when I try to install them I get the following error: Unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running kernel. Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your kernel and that they are properly configured; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the 'kernel-source' or 'kernel-devel' RPM installed. If you know the correct kernel source files are installed, you may specify the kernel source path with the '--kernel-source-path' command line option.

Well I am not quite sure where to go from here on, since I need to do everything manually and I am not really very familiar with the basics of Linux.

So what do I need to do about the kernel to be able to install the nvidia driver: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-367.27.run
    To install the kernel source run:
    Code:
     apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r)

yeah I know about the recommendations, but I really want to make this work.

I got this far. I need to install the kernel headers manually

I have no internet connection on that machine.

when calling uname -r I get the 4.8.0 amd64 kernel (cant recall the precise filename).

What files do I need to download to get the header files running?
    I got this page to select from them http://http.kali.org/kali/pool/main/l/linux-latest/