Thread: Problem Installing Kali 2016.2 to External Hard drive (USB)

Question Problem Installing Kali 2016.2 to External Hard drive (USB)

I'm running Windows XP Pro and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS in a dual boot set up on an old Hewlett Packard laptop with a BIOS. I'm trying to install Kali 2016.2 to a seagate external hard drive formatted as fat32. Not working! My current error message: No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!

I tried changing the name of the isolinux folder to syslinux and changing the names of the isolinux bin and cfg files to syslinux bin and cfg files. NO HELP!

I have tried installing Kali to the external hard drive using Win 32 Disk Imager and the latest version of Universal USB Installer (1.9.6.8). Neither program is working! What do I do? Suggestions? Comments?

1 Get partition software.
    2.Plug in the drive and the portion it to the size you prefer. Once you don't have to allocate it. This will be done later desired amount, download a copy of Kali Linux (make sure its
    Kali Linux since the first ones repositories aren't supported anymore). Make sure that this partition is at least 10 GB's.
    3.Make sure to also make a swap partition . This part doesn't have to be more than a few gigs.
    4.You can either do this if 3 ways: 1. You can use a virtual drive to access the ISO file and use that to install the OS, or 2. You can burn the ISO onto a CD, or 3. You can burn
    the use onto a USB. Either way will work.
    5.Launch the installer as you would any other OS installation, either through CD, live USB, virtual drive.
    1.Follow the on screen instructions until you reach the “erase everything, select drive, etc.” part. Select the advanced settings.
    2.Once you have the reached the screen that shows where you can select what drive you can install the OS, make sure that you have the external drive selected and
    selected the other partition that you made and make it your root.
    3.Select the second extra partition for your swap space.
    4.Install as you would.
    5.With your external hard drive plugged in, select it and you should be able to boot from it.

Regards,
    Christian
    https://www.clouddesktoponline.com/
    Last edited by ChristianC123; 2017-06-20 at 19:17.