Thread: Struggling to install graphic card drivers AMD

Struggling to install graphic card drivers AMD

Here is the thing , according to amd installation package i need to have new kernel 3.18 of kali installed to be able to install the drivers , but the thing is that i am already on that kernel .

my kernel :
    uname -a
    Linux kali 3.18.0-kali3-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 3.18.6-1~kali2 (2015-03-02) i686 GNU/Linux
    and when i try to run the manufacturer installation package i get this :

Check if system has the tools required for installation.
    fglrx installation requires that the system have kernel headers. /lib/modules/3.18.0-kali3-686-pae/build/include/linux/version.h cannot be found on this system.
    One or more tools required for installation cannot be found on the system. Install the required tools before installing the fglrx driver.
    Optionally, run the installer with --force option to install without the tools.
    Forcing install will disable AMD hardware acceleration and may make your system unstable. Not recommended.
    Now here it is the thing , the card is working with default ati driver from linux , but the card is not working with hardware acceleration , and this is the reason why i want to install proprietary drivers .
    I can also do a force installation , but i don want to because card will not work at 100% and system could be unstable .

Note: for some reason i believe that in this case i will need a patch to the kernel , but lets see if anyone here have an idea how to solve this .

Observations :
    i already reinstalled the kernel to see if it works , but i stood at same place before .

It says it can't find the kernel headers pedropt. Did you run:
    Code:
    apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r)

I already have kernel headers installed , the problem is that the AMD instalation does not find the file version.h in linux kernel folder .

In mean while i was looking in other distros with same problem and i found this :
    http://unix.stackexchange.com/questi...stalling-fglrx

They say to copy the file missing to the linux kernel folder in modules .
    The most interesting thing is that i do not have that folder "linux" in my modules directory .
    So i created it and i copy the file to there .
    Resuming , i was able to install the amd package but driver is not active because i had errors during installation .
    Basically what happened was that i try to cheat the amd package and the package found other missing pieces and was not able to compile the driver on the kernel .
    So , i am at the same place i went before but with the difference that i have ati catalyst installed but working with the default driver from linux to ati gpus .

Ok , just to close this thread , i want to say that there is no solution for proprietary ati drivers for cards bellow hd 4000 model .
    Mine is an 2600 and i spend all day trying to get a solution to this .
    I even compiled the kernel 3.49 for kali from source just to fix the issue with "version.h" file , everything went fine but at the end the installed was unable to compile opengl drivers .
    Witch means that i only have my graphic card working at half speed , and by this if i open any app that needs opengl then it will not render , an example is openvisual traceroute , witch was one of the reasons why i spend all day on this issue .
    The only way for me to have this graphic card model working at 100% is downgrading the kernel version (witch i will not do) to a version supported by the installer .
    open source drivers have issues compiling also the driver , fglrx-modules-dkms just have issues during instalation and other open source drivers like xorg does not support the full features of the card .
    The solution is to buy a more recent graphic card , but this time i did not wanted to buy nvidia or ati because their support is the worst thing you can get , they give every excuse to get rid of your support ticket .
    However comparing Nvidia to ATI , ATI support is a bit better than Nvidia support , believe me .
    Also there is no alternatives on the market to choose , because this is a dual boot system , and in windows i have 2 games that i like to play to relieve the stress for a while , and Matrox cards do not have capability to run those games .
    Well , no stress is the most important thing .

Ok , finally over a long fight , i had to rollback kernel to 3.2 just to be able to install this proprietary graphic driver .
    I downloaded : kernel 3.2.84 , compile it and installed it , and then i remove the more recent kernel .
    here it is the output to ati HD2600 XT graphic driver :
    I also had to blacklist "radeon" and had rename /usr/lib64 folder just to put everything working .