Thread: [Q/Help] Help needed for a new Kali Linux user

[Q/Help] Help needed for a new Kali Linux user

Hello everyone,

I'm a new user of Kali Linux in particular and Linux distros in general. I want to start in penetration testing, i bought a book "Hacking : The Art of Exploitation" (i don't know if it's a good idea ).

I have an average knowledge of C/C++ (kind of), i don't know how to start or at least where to begin, i've some questions i wanted to ask.

• Is it mandatory to use Kali Linux (or any kind of Pentesting distribution) ?
    • Or. Do i have to install a distro stick with it and install the necessery tools on it ?
    • Is there any recommanded distro to install in the first place ?

I've a problem installing fglrx ATI driver on my computer and after searching on the web for a solution and bearking the distro multiple times i saw on kali linux website that fglrx-driver was removed from the repositories.

• Does the drivers have a relationship between the distribution or between the kernel ?
    • If it's kernel related, is it possible to install an old kernel for example to make the driver work ?
    • If i install an old kernel, is it gonna be a "security issue" of some sort ?

Thank you in advance.

That book is a good place to start. You don't have to use Kali, but it wouldn't hurt either. Also there are plenty of online tutorials that you can follow. What I would do in your case is to pick just one thing you would like to learn, read about it, and follow tutorials until you can do it effortlessly. Then you can move onto the next thing.

Thank you Scorpius for your answer. My only problem with Kali is that i can't get my GPU (ATI Radeon R5 M300) to work, i tried numerous links and guides found on google.

Code:
    $ lspci | grep Display
    04:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Sun XT [Radeon HD 8670A/8670M/8690M / R5 M330] (rev 83)
    And, if i'm not mistaken when you do this :
    Code:
    $ pyrit list_cores
    Pyrit 0.4.0 (C) 2008-2011 Lukas Lueg http://pyrit.googlecode.com
    This code is distributed under the GNU General Public License v3+

The following cores seem available...
    #1:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
    #2:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
    #3:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
    #4:  'CPU-Core (SSE2)'
    Generaly, it gives you the CPU cores and GPU too, and here GPU isn't listed.

This is the problem i'm facing right now, otherwise this is a pretty good distro.

Agree with scorpius. How are your networking skills? You don't have to be a pro, but the better you understand stuff like switches, routers, TCP/IP, etc...the better your pen-testing will be.

To be honest i think i don't structure my learning, it's like how i learned C/C++, i just try to copy/paste (is it actually a good way to learn ?) when i pickup a subject let's say networking (winsock/sockets) i never sit down and think about how this works i mean for example i want to try a client/server app i start by following a tutorial/guide on the subject and then i end up copy/pasting bits of codes to make it work, and then i go see another subject, etc.

EDiT:
    To answer your question grid.
    On a scale from 1 to 10 in networking let say i've 1.5 or 2
    Last edited by dunCan; 2016-11-30 at 07:15.

Ha ha, understood I would suggest brushing up on networking, bringing it up to at least a 4. So much in the security arena involves networking that I believe you would be at a disadvantage otherwise.

Ok, then thank you guys i'll carry on reading this book.
    If you have any clue about how to make the ATI Radeon R5 M330 work i'd appreciate some help.

Thanks, good luck

Sadly no, the stock Kali video drivers have always done the job for me.