Hello everyone,

I'm a new user of Kali Linux in particular and Linux distros in general. I want to start in penetration testing, i bought a book "Hacking : The Art of Exploitation" (i don't know if it's a good idea ).

I have an average knowledge of C/C++ (kind of), i don't know how to start or at least where to begin, i've some questions i wanted to ask.

• Is it mandatory to use Kali Linux (or any kind of Pentesting distribution) ?
  • Or. Do i have to install a distro stick with it and install the necessery tools on it ?
  • Is there any recommanded distro to install in the first place ?

I've a problem installing fglrx ATI driver on my computer and after searching on the web for a solution and bearking the distro multiple times i saw on kali linux website that fglrx-driver was removed from the repositories.

• Does the drivers have a relationship between the distribution or between the kernel ?
  • If it's kernel related, is it possible to install an old kernel for example to make the driver work ?
  • If i install an old kernel, is it gonna be a "security issue" of some sort ?

Thank you in advance.