Thread: Dual boot Windows 10 & Kali Linux 2016.2 UEFI

Post Dual boot Windows 10 & Kali Linux 2016.2 UEFI

1. Disable Secure Boot
    2. From the BIOS or UEFI setup utility, configure the computer to boot from external media
    3. You need to free up disk space from your computer by shrinking the C drive or other partition with enough free space on it
    1.jpg
    4. Next step in this operation is to download an installation image of Kali Linux Rolling 2016.2
    5. After the download has completed, you may now use it to create a bootable USB stick
    6. Insert the bootable USB stick you created and reboot the computer. Make sure that UEFI mode is enabled, it should boot into the USB stick. If it does not, access the computer’s boot menu and select the appropriate entry
    2.jpg
    7. The EFI Boot menu of the Kali Linux installer has several options, but the recommended one is Graphical Install. So select it and press the ENTER/Return key
    3.jpg
    8. We’ll be using a plain-vanilla set of partitions for this tutorial (no LVM or disk encryption), so select Guided – use the largest continuous free space. With that option, the installer will auto-partition the disk space you freed up in step 3. Your C drive and other Windows 10 partitions will not be touched. Click the Continue button to move to the next step
    4.jpg
    9. Select Separate /home partition, the installer will create a partition mounted at /home, besides the root and swap partitions, for a total of three partitions
    http://linuxbsdos.com/wp-content/upl...-4-700x333.png
    10. The new partitions created by the installer will be listed below the existing Windows 10 partitions. In this image, the partitions are numbered from 5 to 7.
    http://linuxbsdos.com/wp-content/upl...-5-700x331.png
    11.The next task is to make sure that GRUB, the boot loader/boot manager, will be installed in the EFI System Partition (ESP), so double-click on the partition that corresponds to ESP on your system to make that verification.
    http://linuxbsdos.com/wp-content/upl...-6-700x334.png
    12. If the value for the Use as option is not EFI System Partition, double click on it to see the available choices. If it’s not listed in the available options, then your system does not have one, which means that your hard drive was not partitioned using the GPT partitioning scheme
    http://linuxbsdos.com/wp-content/upl...-7-700x336.png
    13. Select Done setting up the partition and click Continue
    http://linuxbsdos.com/wp-content/upl...-8-700x331.png
    14. That should take you back to the main disk partitioning window. All is now set on that front, so select Finish partitioning and write changes to disk
    http://linuxbsdos.com/wp-content/upl...10-700x333.png
    15. Write the changes to disk - Click Yes and Continue
    16. After all the post-installation tasks have been completed, reboot the computer

If all went well in the previous step, rebooting the computer should bring up the GRUB boot menu of Kali Linux Rolling 2016.2. The first entry should be Kali GNU/Linux, and one of the others should be Windows Boot Manager…. Take turns booting into each operating just to make sure that installing Kali Linux did not break anything.

Note that the default boot manager of the computer should be Kali, but you can always change it to the Windows 10 boot manager at any time. It is recommended that you leave it at Kali/GNU Linux, because the entries in Kali’s GRUB menu make it easy to boot into Kali Linux or Windows 10 or to access the UEFI setup utility (that what the System setup option is for). If you ran into any issues while trying to use this guide to set up a dual-boot system, post a comment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (17.1 KB, 46 views)
    Last edited by stevo4mkd; 2016-11-27 at 11:47. Reason: update-added pictures

Glad I found this post. As I plan on doing the same thing (dual boot windows 10 & 2016.2), As far as the UEFI goes, did you have to do anything to make Kali UEFI ? I'm getting conflicting thoughts on other post stating to download a EFI patch of Kai, although these are older.

On top of that I have a HP ENVY 700-414 pc, which from some research have found out that it does not support any boot usb, saying that it needs to be UEFI enabled (very frustrating!) So my usb live does not boot in pc, (I've done everything under the sun, enabling legacy mode, disabling all appropriate options in BIOS.) And I do know that the usb live kali works because it boots from my laptop with no prob. I just cant do much cracking on a old centrino, compared to my pc's i5.

Any suggestions on making this boot from my pc ? Or maybe I'm missing something that I dont know.

Thanks

The only thing you need to do is to make Kali Linux.iso in UEFI mode with Rufus program
    https://rufus.akeo.ie/downloads/rufus-2.11.exe

Thanks! I used another usb transfer tool. I will make sure to use rufus this time.

Hey all...

First time posting. A couple quick NOOB questions just to see if what I wanted to do was even possible. First off...can I dual boot Kali (or really ANY Linux distro for that matter) from a software RAID0 with Win10 already installed? IF it is possible, can I set up the /boot and / (root) on that RAIDed drive and the /swap and /home on a separate non- raid drive? If I can't install the disto on a RAID0 and have it share the space with Win10, can I install the entire thing to run from the other non raid drive? If so, how would I have the boot loader recognized on boot?

Thanks all!

I've tried the steps to install Kali together with Windows 10, but failed, because as mentioned at step 12 I couldn't select the EFI System Partition.
    What can I do??

Quote Originally Posted by Prinz View Post
    I've tried the steps to install Kali together with Windows 10, but failed, because as mentioned at step 12 I couldn't select the EFI System Partition.
    What can I do??
    It is an old tutorial and may not work for all. Just download kali weekly image and follow the steps above.
    Instead of choosing Guided choose largest continuous space you should select Manually and then choose that unallocated partition in which you want to install it.
    Then all files in one partition.
    Finish partitioning and write changes to the disk.
    Choose Network mirror as NO in later steps.

I find kali weekly image better than 2016.2.