Thread: SOLUTION: Guide to get Raspberry Pi 3 internal Bluetooth working with Kali Linux

Lightbulb SOLUTION: Guide to get Raspberry Pi 3 internal Bluetooth working with Kali Linux

Hi all,

I finally got around to play with the on-board Bluetooth of the Raspberry Pi 3 and found a way to get it to work with Kali:

EDIT 20/03/2017: I've created a new kernel package that does the entire setup automatically. No need for the steps I've posted before.

Head over to the Re4son-Kernel site for instruction --> https://www.whitedome.com.au/re4son/re4son-kernel.

Happy hacking,
    Re4son
    Last edited by re4son; 2017-03-20 at 11:12. Reason: Include steps

wazzup buddy do you have a tutorial?...

Last edited by re4son; 2016-11-27 at 22:44. Reason: Link to post #1

Update:

I've created a new kernel package that does the entire setup automatically. No need for the steps below.

Head over to the Re4son-Kernel site for instruction --> https://www.whitedome.com.au/re4son/re4son-kernel.

Happy hacking,
    Re4son

Curious if you've included the g_ether kernel module?
    Comes in very handy as you can just plug the USB cable into to a laptop, power and console in without having to set anything up.

For example:
    https://gist.github.com/gbaman/50b6cca61dd1c3f88f41

Hi aramova,

It's included. I've taken over all "USB Gadget Support" settings from upstream.

hey, i followed your tutorial, but I have a problem.

I am using the pi 3.

i followed all your steps, had a problem with running "sudo systemctl enable hciuart" it just says "no such file or directory"

but then i did the following commands:

"agent on"
    agent registered"
    default-agent"
    default agent request successful"
    scan on"
    no default controller available"

Not sure what I have done wrong, but it won't scan.

Any ideas?

Hi walker94,

Which steps did you follow? More precisely, which image did you install?
    I've just performed the following steps to get bluetooth working:

1. Download armhf image from here: https://whitedome.com.au/re4son/download/kali-linux-2-1-2-armhf-re4son/ and write to sd card
    2. apt update && apt full-upgrade -y
    3. reboot
    4. systemctl start hciuart
    5. systemctl start bluetooth
    6. bluetoothctl
    > agent on
    > default-agent
    > scan on

And it should all be working.

Please let me know how you go,
    Re4son
    Last edited by re4son; 2017-03-29 at 09:58.

Quote Originally Posted by re4son View Post
    Hi walker94,

Which steps did you follow? More precisely, which image did you install?
    I've just performed the following steps to get bluetooth working:

1. Download armhf image from here: https://whitedome.com.au/re4son/download/kali-linux-2-1-2-armhf-re4son/ and write to sd card
    2. apt update && apt full-upgrade -y
    3. reboot
    4. systemctl start hciuart
    5. systemctl start bluetooth
    6. bluetoothctl
    > agent on
    > default-agent
    > scan on

And it should all be working.

Please let me know how you go,
    Re4son
    I made an account for this forum just to thank you, re4son! Thank you so much for this, your project and tutorials have sure helped me alot!

Hi Obblet,

Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad I could be of help.

After a few days of pentesting with your dist with bluetooth, I always get some weird error, and it doesn't let me pair to any device, nor scan any.. Any help please?

root@kali:~# hciconfig
    hci0: Type: Primary Bus: UART
    BD Address: AA:AA:AA:AA:AA:AA ACL MTU: 1021:8 SCO MTU: 64:1
    UP RUNNING
    RX bytes:1441 acl:0 sco:0 events:83 errors:0
    TX bytes:2987 acl:0 sco:0 commands:83 errors:0

EDIT: The problem here is the MAC address..
    Last edited by Obblet; 2017-06-05 at 11:32.

Not sure, haven't seen that before. This MAC address is an indication that the right driver isn't loaded.
    I'm currently running a couple of tests to see if I can reproduce the problem.
    What's the status of the bluetooth and hciuart services when you encounter the drop out?
    Does it help if you restart those services?
    Any errors in your journal?

Many thanks,
    Re4son

Hi !

i am having a few issues also, I have mine setup with wifi allowing me to vnc into pi and ssh , but i want to be able to ssh and vnc into pi over Bluetooth which is gonna require pan / dun. when i attempt to get pi to connect via Bluetooth over vnc wifi , it freeze's everything and vnc crashes out. ssh over putty / wifi is still on. I am currently going though the steps you listed on page 1 to see if that fixes it.

i re did everything from the top of your list to bottom , and now its not finding anything via bluetooth at all, scans are not showing my phone or laptop where as the last burnt sd card i did would show devices but never connect
    Last edited by spydergto; 2017-06-09 at 04:07. Reason: saving space didnt need 2 posts

Lightbulb

You can try my new "testing" release of the re4son-kernel.

Improvements:
    ------------------
    Kernel: Bump to 4.9 for better RPi HW support
    Bluetooth: Upgraded to bluez 5.39. It's fast and rock solid
    WiFi injection: Full support for Alfa AWUS051NH v2

Issues:
    ---------
    TFT touch displays from 4D-Systems not yet supported. Stick with the old kernel if you have one of those.

Installation:
    --------------
    Code:
    sudo bash
    mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot
    cd /usr/local/src
    wget -O re4son_kali-pi_kernel_testing.tar.xz https://whitedome.com.au/re4son/downloads/11335/
    tar -xJf re4son_kali-pi_kernel_testing.tar.xz
    cd re4son_kali-pi_kernel_4*
    ./install

I've had a Bluetooth keyboard connected for several days without any dropouts and it's still going strong.
    It's been running an ssh connection over Bluetooth PAN for over a day without any issues, even vnc'ing over that connection works flawlessly.
    I'm using this PAN module from Sticky-Fingers V2.2.0 for that connection.

Why don't you give it a try and let me know how you go?

Happy hacking,
    Re4son

I will try this once upgrad && update finish , your 8~+- hours behind me lol will reattempt and see whats happening and check back in i have numerous bluetooth devices and trying to make them play nice has not been fun , internal bluetooth on laptop is junk never works ,

somehow bluez and blueman got uninstalled , once its done ill start the process of moving in your kernel update

*edit*

yea stupid Q time ! , ok so i imported the new kernel via your link , everything went well there. rebooted. im looking at the git you linked for bt pan , its not what im used no download files, what do i need to do with that notepad / nano copy paste make exec and run ? also blue tooth manager in kali is now less effective than it was. previously i was able to search for and find other bt devices now i search with no results. and im noticing some weird things im currently using wifi for vnc , using x11vnc because i want access to screen :0 but it looks randomly like im getting dropped whenever i play with blue tooth , the vnc connection drops , usually at this point since i haven't added x11vnc to start up i have 4 terminates open all except my original ssh over wifi closes , the ssh stays open. not sure why when i play with blue tooth , the vnc session closes,

thanks!

*2nd edits*

boy am i stupid ! haaaa ok found the list of things to do , downloaded files side loaded cp'ed and chmod +x them and just rebooted after restarting , will see what this does and let ya know.
    Last edited by spydergto; 2017-06-11 at 05:20. Reason: dont need a new post

Which kali image are you using?

uname -a = Linux kali-pi 4.9.30-v7_Re4son-Kali-Pi+ #4 SMP Fri Jun 9 22:39:08 AEST 2017 armv7l GNU/Linux

Sorry, I meant OS image not kernel.
    Did you install the stock Kali image from this site or the Sticky-Fingers image from mine?
    The PAN AP is a module in Sticky Fingers.

thought i had already responded , ? first time was stock image with your kernel imported 2nd was downloaded yours 3rd was your image downloaded and sideloaded over kernel

Running Sticky-Fingers, just run:

Code:
    cd /home/pi/Kali-Pi
    git pull
    cd Menus/RAS-AP/
    ./bt-pan-ap-install
    systemctl enable pan
    systemctl start pan
    That'll set up your PAN AP.

I would use the command line to set up your bluetooth. Blueman in xfce via VNC is hit and miss.

Hope that helps,
    Re4son

Hi! commands ran fine, pan ap installed , but

when i run bluetoothctl , devices i get blank, nothing lists as in i get no device listed to indicate no bluetooth device is there or found. when i look at gui and bluetooth mon all i get is AA:AA:AA:AA:AA ~ for device address ,

lsusb shows no wifi or bluetooth either , im starting to think it may be this rpi , im currently out in the desert and cant run to the store for more sd cards and or an extra pi , i only have a pi 2 spare, i wanted as previously mentioned rpi 3 patched nexmon drivers for packet injection ,

any idea what to try i was thinking of even throwning stock image of jessie onto this sd card to test the bluetooth im thinking i may have bad hardware ?

Have you installed anything on top of Sticky-Fingers? Any other bluetooth packages?

@re4son I have enjoyed reading through your postings. They have been very informative. Waiting on another RaspberryPi3 & RPiZeroW to arrive so I can try out your latest images.
    I was a geek when geeks weren't cool... Still a GEEK, Still not cool

How can I write this file to an SD card if it will format it? Isnt that what will happen or am I thinking of usb drives?

Hi all,
    I'm using a Raspberry PI 3. I'd like to use the original Kali Linux 2017.2 distro.
    So is it possible to have the instructions to make the internal bluetooth running?
    I can start the Bluetooth service and bluetoothctl, but scan on gives me this error:

No default controller available

The command hciconfig gives me no results.
    Thanks.

Hi kali_user_7,

You can install the re4son-kernel to get Bluetooth working.
    Just follow the steps on this page:

https://whitedome.com.au/re4son/re4son-kernel/

I have installed the kali-linux-2018.1-rpi0w-nexmon.img on a 32G card for my pi b+ and it boots just fine but when I enter startX to start the GUI. It tells me that there is no such command.