Thread: Kali newbie question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Kali newbie question

Hi, new guy here, was able to install the virtual VM ware workstation version of Kali Linux on a Windows 10 machine, I can start a VM session (as a guest) everything looks great, the default user name and password seem to work fine (root/toor) and I am brought to the Kali desktop/dash board with the flying dragon logo and the applications on the left side of the screen,

However, when I try to open any of the applications (using the mouse), a short column of command line flashes momentarily then the log in menu re-appears. I re-enter the default username and password again, and it brings me back to the desktop/dashboard. This happens no matter what application I try to open, whether it is nmap, armitage, etc.

Am I doing something wrong, missing a step or have a corrupt installation? I tried numerous topic searches but could not find a thread that might apply.

Many thanks!

that's a strange problem...

try doing the following

1. from anywhere (login prompt or desktop, it does not matter) push Ctrl+Alt+F3.

2. login as root

3. run "dpkg --configure -a"

4. if that doesn't fix it. go back to the terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F3), login and run this: "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y"
    Last edited by St0ner1995; 2016-12-04 at 03:21. Reason: missed part of a step

Many thanks for the reply! I'll try that.

It Worked!

[QUOTE=St0ner1995;66813]

3. run "dpkg --configure -a"

Solution #3 above worked like a charm, I can open the applications and shut them off, many, many thanks!

How did you know that would do the trick? Does that command reset/reconfigure Debian somehow?

Thanks again!

"dpkg --configure -a" fixes packages that are not configured. its rare but sometimes dpkg gets interrupted for whatever reason and things break

its good to know your problem was fixed

Update:

Well the problem returned. Tried re-installing but met with the same problem. Finally found a consistent pattern that led to a workaround:

When I initially log in, I selected "Gnome-Wayland" in the pull down menu next to the password field. After entering the default password, I am brought to the Kali desktop/flying dragon logo and am able to use any of the applications without being kicked back into the log in screen. This functions fine, however the Kali screen cannot be enlarged to full screen.

To be able to get to the full screen and full application functionaility (and not be kicked back into the log in menu by using the applications), I have to sign in twice, the first time using the default "X-11" password setting, then try to use an application, get kicked back into the log in menu, the second time logging in, selecting "Gnome-Wayland". After the second log in, I am able to enlarge the Kali desktop to full screen.

As a practical matter, the full screen is probably not worth the above procedure since the command line box/shell that is used to enter commands is the same size with or without the full screen desktop, at least with my set up.

Anyhow, hope my newbie observations don't cause more confusion, but it works for me. Thanks for the replies.

i am a newbie

downloaded kali 64 bit iso amd 64 versioin 2016.2 and installed through usb for windows 10 and now got it as a dual boot with windows 10,now just wanted to make sure if i had installed it properly as every thing seems to be working fine as it is asking for user name and pswd as root and toor,in terminal it accepts couple of commands and few not,i just wanted to make sure if i had done every thing properly so is there any way or commands to check it from terminal the authenticity of my installed kali linux,would really appreciate if i would be told commands to confirm my installation done,regards

EDIT:
    Also at the start of the booting of kali linux main screen which version to use where i could use the mouse easily instead of tapping the arrow with my laptop's mousepad right or left tabs,options available there are:Live(amd 64) Live(forensic mode) Live(failsafe) Live persistence and few others,i just wanted to make sure first if i had done the installation rightly,its always a first step to learn something,please don't discourage as i am a quick learner
    Last edited by maiki; 2016-12-28 at 08:50. Reason: Merge posts

Hi freddie...

I also a newbie in kali linux, maybe my answer can help

Attachment 2082 Did you find this option menu after booting ? or other option menu ?
    if you find this option menu than it's on kali linux live usb persistence. I don't know what you want to do with it, but you can make sure that you already install it with
    open terminal,and try this one
    #uname -a
    or
    #uname -r

you can find doc in the net with "kali linux live usb persistence" keyword

@freddie, what is your background with linux in general? Kali is Debian-based, so if you've used Debian or Ubuntu, Kali will be familiar.

When you say the terminal doesn't accept some commands, have you checked for man pages or help on those commands that are failing?