Thread: Issues with building a driver file

Question Issues with building a driver file

I've recently set up dual-boot system with Kali and Windows 7, and my USB network adapter doesn't work at all. I've narrowed the problem down to a missing driver that doesn't come standard with the latest rolling release (RTL8812au), and I located a working driver source on github. I proceeded to load said source onto a USB and drop it on the target system.

But.
    The driver needs to be made with the make command. But the make command won't work without the appropriate headers. And the appropriate headers only come from the internet, which I can't access without the driver. I don't have another linux machine to build it on right now either. So, I need to go from a freshly installed system to being able to use the make command, with everything from the internet downloaded on a windows machine and transferred via USB.

And, as bonus points, the boot loader requires internet to install during the initial installation process, so I don't have one of those right now either. Right now, I access the OS by using a live USB and chrooting into the mounted partition, but this complicates all sorts of things (things in /dev are missing, ect). So, I also need a way to get GRUB-PC installed to such a system.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

it looks complicated installing packages without internet access to get them .
    get an wifi usb adapter , by default , kali will detect it .
    After that point connect to your wifi network and do the installation packages that you need .
    One thing :
    does your system boots automatically to linux or windows ?
    if it is for linux then you just have to do what i wrote before , if it is for windows then you should get grub to an usb drive :
    ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/grub/

extract it on your hdd and install it with :

./configure
    make
    make install /dev/sda

there should be a README file inside the tar , and by default grub is installed of the first hdd in bios , witch by default is sda .
    In alternative you can look here and download 1 of their usb images and write it on an usb disk and run it at boot :
    https://www.pendrivelinux.com/instal...-ubuntu-linux/

Basically this usb image is an light ubuntu image with grub options on start so you can install , reinstall or fix grub boot on your system .
    the image will detect where your OS are and will add them to grub config file , so next time you reboot you will have grub already installed .