Thread: Acer laptop Install

Acer laptop Install

Hi guys,

Looking at buying an Acer ES1-571 for a dual boot machine to start learning with kali.

Does anyone know any known issues with drivers etc. For this model?

Thanks

Driver issues are hardware specific. It does not depend on the OEM. It depends on whose chipsets are used by OEM to build the hardware.

Even if you face driver issues after dual-boot you can fix them by installing appropriate drivers from repository.

As you want to learn kali-linux if I were you I would see the first thing in a laptop is its internal wifi adapter which comes built-in. For me it is very important that that even my internal wifi adapter is capable of packet injection and monitor mode and supports all other penetration testing tools so that I don't have to buy external wifi adapter for these things.

Unfortunately most of the vendors don't build internal wifi adapter and their drivers while keeping this thing in mind. Though kali-linux has its own custom drivers for these purpose yet it also depends whether that chipset supports that else it won't work for those penetration testing tools.

The second thing which comes in my mind is the graphic card. Kali-linux provides drivers to unlock GPU processing but they are limited and mostly apply to dedicated graphic cards like Nvidia and ATI. So I'll look for dedicated graphics.

My laptop has Intel Dual-Band Wireless AC-3165 which supports penetration testing using drivers provided by linux but I've Intel HD graphics which I can't use for GPU processing. I've no idea if there are any drivers to unlock GPU processing of intel graphics because they are integrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirusthevirus View Post
    Hi guys,

Looking at buying an Acer ES1-571 for a dual boot machine to start learning with kali.

Does anyone know any known issues with drivers etc. For this model?

Thanks
    I have kali installed on a acer es 1531 works great monitor mode {wlan0mon}

Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    My laptop has Intel Dual-Band Wireless AC-3165 which supports penetration testing using drivers provided by linux but I've Intel HD graphics which I can't use for GPU processing. I've no idea if there are any drivers to unlock GPU processing of intel graphics because they are integrated.
    Which driver are you using exactly, is it iwlwifi? I can't figure out if anything else is needed to make injection happen, which shouldn't be the case telling from the specifications of iwlwifi telling injection is definitely coming with it. Maybe you can give me a hint, as I am new to Kali.

Quote Originally Posted by JK24 View Post
    Which driver are you using exactly, is it iwlwifi? I can't figure out if anything else is needed to make injection happen, which shouldn't be the case telling from the specifications of iwlwifi telling injection is definitely coming with it. Maybe you can give me a hint, as I am new to Kali.
    iwlwifi are the proprietary drivers of intel. I installed them during the installation. Is it not working for you?