Thread: Raspberry Pi 2 B v1.2

Kali image not booting on Raspberry Pi 2 B v1.2

There is a difference between the Pi2 v1.1 and the 1.2. After doing some research I came across this that details differences in v1.1 and v1.2 as of OCT 2016 -

http://www.avid-tech.com/products/do...nformation.pdf

It states,

Raspberry Pi2 Model B v1.2
    IMPORTANT: PLEASE UPDATE TO LATEST VERSION OF THE OPERATING SYSTEM
    Previous versions of Raspberry Pi 2 Model B use the BCM2836 SoC, which contains a quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 processor. The new release Raspberry Pi 2 Model B v1.2 board uses BCM2837, which contains a quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 processor. It is necessary to update to the latest (October 2016) version of the device firmware and Linux kernel to allow the board to boot up properly.

With that said, has anyone been able to boot Kali on a new Raspberry Pi2 with BCM2837? I can confirm I have the BCM2837 by looking at the print on the chip.
    Last edited by redfox; 2017-01-05 at 01:51. Reason: Clarify problem in title

I was hoping to get some feedback. I know someone else must have a v 1.2 Pi2 B. I got mine from canna kit. The notice I posted above says the firmware and kernel must be current as of Oct 2016 otherwise the board will not boot. The current Kali image must not have either as it will not boot on my new Pi2(s).

Is anyone at Kali tracking this? Is there a way I can use a new custom kernel/firmware installed on my older Pi2 to enable it to be cloned and than boot the newer ones?

Will Kali release a new image?

We are planning on a new image yes. I was unaware that they changed the chipset at all. You can create your own kernel the same way we do it in the scripts, and copy the firmware files over as well. See the kali-arm-build-scripts repository on https://github.com/offensive-security/ for the build scripts used. If you move to a newer kernel than what we currently use, there will be configuration file changes, and don't forget that you'll need to patch the kernel as well like we do in the script.