Thread: Kali Linux 2.1.2 on Raspberry Pi B+ - Image has no Kali Tools

Exclamation Kali Linux 2.1.2 on Raspberry Pi B+ - Image has no Kali Tools

On 12/15 I downloaded the kali-2.1.2-rpi.img.xz file from the Kali download site at https://www.offensive-security.com/k...ux-arm-images/. I verified the SHA1 Checksum was correct on the downloaded file per the posted checksum on the download site. Everything matched. I extracted the .img file using 7Zip to my Windows 7 Home Premium desktop and loaded the image onto a 32Gb SD card using WIN32Disk Imager just like I have done for all of my Raspberry Pi projects. The Pi booted up normally and the login screen took the "root/toor" default password and the displayed a one-time selection for either the Default panel or a blank panel. I chose the default panel. I get the Kali "dragon" background, but under the Application menu on the top bar there were no Kali applications available ! None, nada, nothing Kali at all...! I compared this to my Kali 1.0 image running under the VMWare Player on my desktop system just to make sure I was not having a senior moment - The Raspberry Pi Kali image I have is clearly missing all of the KALI stuff (tools).

So next I did an "apt-get update" followed by an "apt-get dist-upgrade" operation and after the download of about 730 items and the subsequent updates/setups and a reboot, I now seem to have some Kali menu items, but very little else (nmap, sqlmap, wireshark). Not what I expected to see. I have a Raspberry Pi B+ (2014 vintage) with the BCM2835 Rev 13 CPU (/proc/cpuinfo). System boots just fine into a Linux 4.1.19 kernel (/proc/version) that was built on March 15th, 2016 at 18:12:17 GMT.

Under the /usr/share/kali-menu/applications folder there are a collection of .desktop files that seem to match what I should have seen under the KALI Menu - but apparently the Menu was never built.

So my question is - what's wrong with this image ? Do I just get a small number of apps for Kali, or should I see the same items as I do for the Kali 1.0 version running under a Windows VM ? And why did it not have the items already installed in the image ?

Thanks in advance for any help. And if by chance this is answered elsewhere in the Forum, I will humbly accept a suitable reprimand and a pointer to the explanation.

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...tools-included!

See g0tmilk's reply to the above.

I might suggest that the ARM Image download page state that these images do not have any Kali tools installed and perhaps provide pointers to the appropriate information about how to install all/subset of tools to meet the users needs. That would go a long way in reducing that woot? moment that occurs right after initial boot when the user discovers that there are no tools installed. Just my humble opinion.
    Last edited by Mightypro; 2016-12-17 at 15:34. Reason: Foul language

The image is basic just because of faster to download and most are just curious.
    What you need is look up how to install the meta package that you want.
    For example " sudo apt-get install kali-linux-wireless" will install the wifi pentesting apps and put them in the menu.

Here are some things I have discovered in this journey with the Kali Linux image for the Raspberry Pi (I'm running on a B+ with a 32Gb SD card):

1) Root FS Expansion - Raspi_config was missing, and the ones that I could find that were reported to work did not support expansion of the root partition. I did a reasonably *exhaustive* search for an expansion procedure and none I found seemed to work, even though commenters who said they used them and had success. Not with any I found and followed to the letter. I was, however, finally able to get a 29 Gb root partition on a 32Gb SD card after using "gparted" on the SD card via a WM running Kali Linux 1.0. Perhaps this was an oversight. A default partition is 6.8 Gb, even on a 32Gb SD card. Without the means to expand the partition - you are stuck and perhaps some of the smaller meta packages might work, but not the bigger ones.

2) Speaking of those meta packages... I did review the meta packages page and clearly understood the installation procedure. So after getting past the partition issue and successfully expanding root to 29Gb, I attempted to install first kali-linux-full and then kali-linux-all - the installations failed because "clang" is missing. And the failure message flatly says clang is not able to be installed! That sort of makes it a no-win situation as best I can tell. Oddly enough, there was no way I found to install "clang" from any Debian sources or .deb files. And every hurdle I cleared just revealed more missing items and so it went right down the rabbit hole. I did not try any of the smaller subset meta packages. My guess is that the results would be similar.

I never tried the full or all, have you tried maybe sudo apt-get install --fix-missing or even try adding another repo to your sources.list that would have clang for the pi? Maybe the Debian repo's might have it for the arm cpu.

Update: google search "raspberry pi apt-get clang" the site dev.iachieved.it, might be what you need.
    Last edited by Roatandave; 2016-12-20 at 02:01.

Hello,

I have good results with Raspberry B+ and one old version of Kali /1.1.1 or 1.1.0 one of them/. Now I am looking to download them, for sure they work stable, also the cracking tools too.

Ok, so following the suggestion of Roatandave (Thanks for your comment) I went to the suggested site, but that was for installing Swift 3.0 - however, there was mention of "clang" under the prerequisites. So I followed the commands, BUT, the post was from December 2015, so the archive-key-ring file that was displayed had changed. But not to worry, I went to the repository and retrieved the new filename and all *seemed* to run ok, except that the install of libicu-dev had some issues and clang-3.6 died a horrible death. So now my journey from the shire took me to find a version of "clang" that *might* be successfully installed. I even added the Debian Jessie repositories to my sources.list file, but that didn't help either. and I had already performed the apt-get update, apt-get upgrade and apt-get dist-upgrade steps with reboots in between. Just in case you were wondering.

And yes, I did try the apt-get install <package-name> --fix-missing, but that was of no help in this case.

So when you search for clang-3.6 in the Debian archives, you find that there is not a package for the armel/armhf architecture. So next I searched for a 3.5 version at https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=clang-3.5 and sure enough, there was a package for the armel/armhf architectures --> {Package: clang-3.5 (1:3.5-10) }. So I next pulled a list of packages installed on my Raspberry Pi using the command dpkg -l > packages.txt so I could check on the prerequisites. I was golden until I hit libclang1-3.5 (= 1:3.5-10) and then I started getting the errors with missing/uninstallable packages. I dutifully took each missing package and tried to get it installed, only to find even more things missing. After about 6 hours of this, I think I've had enough. Will Rogers once said, "When you find yourself in a hole, quit digging." This appeared to me to be a hole with no end, so I'm terminating the dig.

It is my humble opinion (and please, no offense intended toward the good folks who put this package together) that the Raspberry Pi KALI image (not to be confused with the Raspberry Pi 2/3 images) was very likely not thoroughly tested with any of the Kali meta-packages. At least not the "kali-linux-all" or "kali-linux-full" packages. It's very likely that the meta packages probably run just fine on the VM based instances and maybe even on the later Raspberry PI systems where "clang" can be installed. Just not the B+ model I have and I have no Pi2 or Pi3 systems to try it on. I understand the rationale with providing a small image for speed of download and I have no argument with the stripped down image being made available. But it should be available only if all its meta-packages have been tried and known to work. This has been a waste of several days to come to this point and I have nothing to show for the work, other than this series of posts. Maybe the more specialized and smaller packages do work on a B+ system. I just don't know. But I would just guess that the "clang" problem will probably plague them as well.

I would like to extend my appreciation and sincere Thanks! to all who have commented and contributed to this journey. And also to the folks who make Kali possible. A great set of tools that work very well.

Well, Now it's back to the shire and my other projects...

*Update: On the VM based version of Kali 2.1.2, "clang" and all its supporting libraries are already installed.
    Last edited by sec_engineer1; 2016-12-20 at 18:13. Reason: updating information

Well if anything, it was a good learning experience, which is why I have thin grey hair.
    Good luck on your way back to the shire.