On 12/15 I downloaded the kali-2.1.2-rpi.img.xz file from the Kali download site at https://www.offensive-security.com/k...ux-arm-images/. I verified the SHA1 Checksum was correct on the downloaded file per the posted checksum on the download site. Everything matched. I extracted the .img file using 7Zip to my Windows 7 Home Premium desktop and loaded the image onto a 32Gb SD card using WIN32Disk Imager just like I have done for all of my Raspberry Pi projects. The Pi booted up normally and the login screen took the "root/toor" default password and the displayed a one-time selection for either the Default panel or a blank panel. I chose the default panel. I get the Kali "dragon" background, but under the Application menu on the top bar there were no Kali applications available ! None, nada, nothing Kali at all...! I compared this to my Kali 1.0 image running under the VMWare Player on my desktop system just to make sure I was not having a senior moment - The Raspberry Pi Kali image I have is clearly missing all of the KALI stuff (tools).

So next I did an "apt-get update" followed by an "apt-get dist-upgrade" operation and after the download of about 730 items and the subsequent updates/setups and a reboot, I now seem to have some Kali menu items, but very little else (nmap, sqlmap, wireshark). Not what I expected to see. I have a Raspberry Pi B+ (2014 vintage) with the BCM2835 Rev 13 CPU (/proc/cpuinfo). System boots just fine into a Linux 4.1.19 kernel (/proc/version) that was built on March 15th, 2016 at 18:12:17 GMT.

Under the /usr/share/kali-menu/applications folder there are a collection of .desktop files that seem to match what I should have seen under the KALI Menu - but apparently the Menu was never built.

So my question is - what's wrong with this image ? Do I just get a small number of apps for Kali, or should I see the same items as I do for the Kali 1.0 version running under a Windows VM ? And why did it not have the items already installed in the image ?

Thanks in advance for any help. And if by chance this is answered elsewhere in the Forum, I will humbly accept a suitable reprimand and a pointer to the explanation.