Using 2016.2 64bit and having issues when attempting to boot on my desktop. Intel i7 CPU.

Kali live USB on my Asus Chromebook Flip is perfect. Kali Nethunter on my Nexus 7 2013 is perfect. Can't get a full version to live boot on my desktop, encrypted or not. Thought the issue was partition type (disklabel in fdisk after using dd was dos) so I wiped the drive and started over, and used gptgen to change the partition type from mbr/dos to gpt but it still hangs during boot. Used three different USB drives of different sizes and speeds/types.

It appears fine at first; gives me boot options with the Kali splash, starts to boot, and then hangs at different parts of the boot process each time. Thought maybe it was something to do with the filesystem on the drive because it hung during mounts after the first few boots (different mounts), but it hangs during parts of the boot sequence that are not directly fs or mounting related. I've wiped and redone the drive over and over again using UUI, Win32DI, dd on my Linux laptop, leaving it dos or changing to gpt; all still hang during a seemingly random part of the boot. I say random because nothing changes on the host system for each boot, and I've gotten different results booting the same USB setup different times in a row.

Currently stuck at: systemd [1]: Starting Create list of required static device nodes for the current kernel...
Last stuck at: systemd [1]: Listening on udev Control Socket.
Before that: systemd [1]: Mounting POSIX Message Queue File System...

I might be missing something glaringly obvious here, but I've successfully booted two other versions of Kali, and have done numerous live boots of other Linux distros with no issues, encrypted and not.