Thread: Not Installing After Repair

Not Installing After Repair

Hi, I'm obviously having trouble installing Kali Linux. In May, my hard drive was wiped and I couldn't install any operating systems so I had to send it in for repairs. Keep in mind that before the hard drive wipe, I had Kali Linux 2 and Windows 10 installed. After 3 months, I sent in my laptop (yes, I'm a procrastinator) and they sent it back and installed Windows 10. I tried to boot up Kali Linux 2016.2 through DVD but I'm greeted with the ISOLINUX splash screen; the thing is, it stays there. This had never happened before. I thought it was something wrong with the install itself so I burned it onto another DVD, but it still stayed on the ISOLINUX screen. To see if it was because of another corrupted download, I tried booting it up in VirtualBox and it worked fine. I'm a little frustrated because my knowledge is kind of basic. My laptop is an Acer F554LA-NH51 (4 gb ram, i5 5200u, etc). Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.
    -K

Do you have any info on the video card? In my experience, this sounds like a video card driver issue that's keeping Kali from booting.

Quote Originally Posted by grid View Post
    Do you have any info on the video card? In my experience, this sounds like a video card driver issue that's keeping Kali from booting.
    All I know is that it's a built in Intel HD Graphics 5500. I do know that I tried to play some games after the repair that lagged a lot, and I hard to update the drivers. Otherwise, I don't have any information.

I suppose there's a problem with your system not booting kali-linux. Is your system type UEFI? I'm not sure with DVD but if your system is UEFI then you have to manually add .efi in the setup.

I've stopped using DVD for a long time. Since then I've been using bootable USB to install kali-linux. Maybe you should give a try to install it via USB.