Thread: Kali doesn't detect hard disk for the insallation

Kali doesn't detect hard disk for the insallation

Information

-version of kali : 2016.2
    -64 bits version
    -notebook : MSI GT72S 6QE Dominator Pro G (64bits)

Explanation of the problem:

Hey everyone.

I tried to install with the graphical installation. When I came for the grub loader. Accidentally I chose the wrong disk because I've a SSD and a HDD. So when I tried to launch kali it didn't boot. I've decided to delete all files by a formatting of the space I gave to kali linux . Now, when I want to install kali-linux, it doesn't detect my disks. It only detect my usb key. I've tried every partition possible (free space, unallocated, in FAT32 in NTFS) but nothing work. If I try to install directly in my usb I only have a black screen. I have also reset my computer but didn't work.

Photo of my partition now: Capture.jpg

I want to already thanks all of you who are going to try help me.

Cebres

ps: sorry for my English I'm French

I see that you have 3 different physical disk and there is one disk for kali-linux. Are you trying to install kali-linux on that F:/ drive again?

As I said in my post I've tried to install it on the usb key but I only have a black screen in the middle of the installation

Is it windows OS in C drive ? did you already try to format the drive that you want to install kali via windows and try to install kali again ?

Format your Kali-linux (F:/) drive and make it unallocated. Then reinstall.

Yes it is installed in the c but how to format I'll lose all my windows file?

Did you keep your F drive unallocated? I see that it is assigned with a letter F.

Hi, I want to up this topic because I can't install Kali.
    _defalt: the F drive is my usb key which isn't unallocated because it contains kali installer.
    How am I suppose to do?
    I've try to install the new version (kali 2017.1) but does't see hard drive, only my usb key.

Appreciate your answer.

Here is now my new partition of the disks partion.jpg
    Last edited by Cebres; 2017-05-13 at 08:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Cebres View Post
    Hi, I want to up this topic because I can't install Kali.
    _defalt: the F drive is my usb key which isn't unallocated because it contains kali installer.
    How am I suppose to do?
    I've try to install the new version (kali 2017.1) but does't see hard drive, only my usb key.

Appreciate your answer.

Here is now my new partition of the disks partion.jpg
    When you boot kali installer, in intermediate steps installer asks to select partition where you want to install kali. Does it show the partitions of your hard disk. Show the screenshot of that step. Upload picture on any free to upload site and paste the link here.

Hey, as you demand, here are the screen. For the first time a get a warning. I let you see.
    warning : http://hpics.li/8e53dce
    partition : http://hpics.li/c94544e

You should choose Yes to force the installation in UEFI mode. Do you boot windows 10 in Legacy mode?

Are you sure? Doesn't it erase all my windows 10 files?
    No I'm booting in UEFI mode

It doesn't erase anything. It only gives warning that if you have any other operating system like Windows 10 and if it is booting in Legacy mode then you will face overhaead in booting the other OS which is in UEFI mode. It is because then you will have to keep on switching between Legacy and UEFI if one OS boots in Legacy and one boots in UEFI. The booting scheme of UEFI is different from Legacy BIOS and is more intelligent.

Windows 10 is known to boot only in UEFI mode and if you are following the same then you should force installation in UEFI else you will face that switching problem.

Ok so, if I force the the UEFI installation, it doesn't erase my windows 10 and like this I'll get a grub?

Ok so, if I force the the UEFI installation, it doesn't erase my windows 10 and like this I'll get a grub?
    While writing this comment you should have already started it. Like i said earlier it doesn't erase anything. How would it erase anything when the partition you are choosing is different from the one in which is windows 10 is installed.

I tried it but it doesn't detect my hard disk. I've the same screen.

You know i've identified your problem. Your hard disk is not being mounted by the installer automatically. There was a command which i forgot which remounts your hard disk and then you can see list of partitions. But i don't remember that command. Hope grid and musket teams throw some light on this.

Ok, so concretely what do I have to do now?

Thank you I'll try it and tell you if I finally could install it.

So it didn't work because it doesn't recognize my SSD ...

So it didn't work because it doesn't recognize my SSD ...
    You won't like this solution: https://askubuntu.com/questions/6964...ll-xps-13-9350

Thank you for your answer but because I won't reinstall windows. I'll buy a small laptop to install Kali, like A lenovo, they're really good. Thanks for helping me.

Thank you for your answer but because I won't reinstall windows. I'll buy a small laptop to install Kali, like A lenovo, they're really good. Thanks for helping me.
    Better solution is either take your HDD or SSD out. Put it in a USB case and install kali in that partition.

OR

Install kali in the same drive in which Windows 10 is.

I don't fully understand your problem. First you accidentally chose the wrong drive so it was detecting drive earlier but when you wiped it no longer detects either HDD or SSD?

In which drive do you have windows 10 and where do you want to install kali?
    Last edited by _defalt; 2017-07-03 at 21:39.