Thread: EFI dual boot with win10 on seperate hdd then Kali

EFI dual boot with win10 on seperate hdd then Kali

Hi all, this might be a simple question.

I tried to install Kali on my system together with an existing win10 version. however the free partition space is on another physical drive then the win10 system and so is also the efi partition.
    Do I have to install Kali on the same HDD to make this work (I tried before to install it on the other HDD but the installer wont recognize the efi partition on the other hdd then)? If installing Kali on another HDD do I need a seperate efi partition on that same HDD or should the efi partition on the HDD with the win system do the job?
    Or asking differently, how do I make the installer recognize the efi partition on the other HDD?

Best
    Zaphoxx

I think set in the partition manager in the win10-efi partition to "not use".
    I had install kali on a second disk, too.

When you have the Problem that BIOS can't detect the second efi partition, use a linux live system and chroot on the kali installation and reinstall grub2.
    I think the problem is when the EFI-Variables are reseted, the system forget the second efi partition.

You have one HDD(right?) in your PC in which there is a C drive of windows 10, the EFI partition for bootloaders and other local drives for your personal data and probably one unallocated partition. Where exactly do you want to install kali-linux?

I could be mistaken. Can you upload a screenshot of your partitions?
    Last edited by _defalt; 2016-12-27 at 13:11.

Hi, i have one ssd with the win system and a 2Tb hdd with one partition used up by win and the rest unallocated ( where i want kali to go to )
    On the sdd there is slso the efi partition (esp); i figured that i have to open that one during installstion to tell the install that it should use that as esp (it is flagged as such but the use as is initially empty )
    So now it will run the full installation process without complaints and i get the startup menu where i can select the system to bootup to.

But kali wont boot up properly now; it gets stuck with the messages
    Edac sbridge: ecc is disabled. Aborting
    Edac sbridge: couldnt find mci handler

Someone knows what that means ?
    Best

[solved]

Quote Originally Posted by zaphoxx View Post
    Hi, i have one ssd with the win system and a 2Tb hdd with one partition used up by win and the rest unallocated ( where i want kali to go to )
    On the sdd there is slso the efi partition (esp); i figured that i have to open that one during installstion to tell the install that it should use that as esp (it is flagged as such but the use as is initially empty )
    So now it will run the full installation process without complaints and i get the startup menu where i can select the system to bootup to.

But kali wont boot up properly now; it gets stuck with the messages
    Edac sbridge: ecc is disabled. Aborting
    Edac sbridge: couldnt find mci handler

Someone knows what that means ?
    Best
    [solved]
    Thanks to everybody trying to help.

I finally managed to get it working. Previously I used Kali 2016.2 the Mint version. This time I downloaded the week50 kali (standart) version from here: http://cdimage.kali.org/kali-images/kali-weekly/>
    The installation runs fine if you select the existing EFI partition and choose 'use as EFI' in the installation step (only modify the 'use as' portion if necessary) where you select and define your partitions to use. After installation make sure to select Kali from the UEFI bios menu for startup. Then you will get the typical grub selection menu.

However after installation i still get the previously mentioned errors (ECC and MCI issue) but now it wont freeze anymore and startup kali as usual. If someone has a hint on how to fix the ECC/MCI error message that would be great but for now I'll live with it as it should be (according to other posts) noncritical error messages and can be considered as warnings.

Best
    Zaphoxx
    Last edited by zaphoxx; 2016-12-28 at 08:18.