Thread: Dual booting kali linux on a partioned hdd with windows 10

Dual booting kali linux on a partioned hdd with windows 10

Hi Guys just looking for a bit of help if possible,

I am trying to dual boot kali onto a partitioned hdd(100gb) which has windows 10 as the main os. I have already made the partition and have a bootable usb drive with kali iso (i have tried it on another laptop and worked). my problem is that when i do it on my laptop an acer aspire f 15. when i boot up from the usb and get to the install menu no matter what option i choose weather it be graphical install, live, install it will freeze on that kali menu screen. i do not know if this is something to do with acer laptops but i have secure boot disabled and using eufi boot. which i successfully installed kali on a hp laptop earlier the exact same way. any advise would be helpful.

I have added ab image of the frozen screen

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi! I have an acer aspire f15 also and the same problem appear while trying to install kali. Have you found any solution to this?

thanks

Hi again!

I found that this freezing problem is experienced by almost every user of Acer laptops. The solution to this problem is to update the BIOS of your device. The problem here i that to flash the BIOS can be quite risky because if you do it wrong the laptop becomes useless and the laptop producers say to do it under your own risk. My BIOS version was v1.25 and I went to Acer web and saw that the v1.37 was available for the Aspire F5-571G (this is the model of my laptop, there is no F-15 model xD). So, I downloaded the update and installed it. Now my problem is that when I install kali, the GRUB loader does not detect the windows os and when I start the laptop it goes directly to windows, without showing the GRUB interface to choose between kali or windows. Still searching for solution.

Hope it is useful.

You need to press F8 or F9 to go to boot menu options. There you can boot kali. By default windows bootloader is given 1st priority to boot windows directly.

I have already tried it but it does not appear the GRUB loader, only gives the windows bootloader option so may be is an installation problem or something.

You can re-install grub by booting into kali live USB. Here is the list of commands you need to enter-
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda* /mnt
    sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    sudo mount /dev/sda** /mnt/boot/efi
    sudo chroot /mnt
    grub-install /dev/sda
    update-grub
    exit
    sudo umount /mnt/dev
    sudo umount /mnt/proc
    sudo umount /mnt/sys
    sudo umount /mnt/boot/efi
    sudo umount /mnt
    Replace * in sudo mount /dev/sda* /mnt with your linux partition assigned value.
    Replace ** in sudo mount /dev/sda** /mnt/boot/efi with your EFI partition assigned value.
    Use fdisk -l to list all partitions.
    Last edited by _defalt; 2017-03-04 at 18:47.

Hi

go to boot menu under advance boot options, change the boot order to boot from USB Drive in first opotion and check, See if its helps
    Last edited by heraklez; 2017-02-19 at 14:40.

You can re-install grub by booting into kali live USB. Here is the list of commands you need to enter-
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda* /mnt
    sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
    sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
    sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
    sudo mount /dev/sda** /mnt/boot/efi
    sudo chroot /mnt
    grub-install /dev/sda
    update-grub
    exit
    sudo umount /mnt/dev
    sudo umount /mnt/proc
    sudo umount /mnt/sys
    sudo umount /mnt
    Replace * in sudo mount /dev/sda* /mnt with your linux partition assigned value.
    Replace ** in sudo mount /dev/sda** /mnt/boot/efi with your EFI partition assigned value.
    Use fdisk -l to list all partitions.
    When you say linux partition, are you referring to the linux filesystem partition or to the linux swap partition?

Quote Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
    When you say linux partition, are you referring to the linux filesystem partition or to the linux swap partition?
    Linux filesystem partition I mean.

Hi again!

When I introduce the code to re-install the grub it says that the command could not be found. Maybe it is because I am not booting well into kali live USB. I just boot from my usb and instead of going to graphical install i go to live usb persistence, and once in kali linux I open a terminal and it returns me that error.

Thanks a lot!

Which command it says could not be found?

It was my fault xD because I was not copying well the code, but I have already done it and it still boots directly to windows. I have entered the boot menu and it only appears the windows bootloader. At the final command, it said that /mnt was busy or something like that maybe it is the problem I donĀ“t know...

thanks!

To keep the write process smooth, data is kept in RAM and is written while unmounting the partition. I added a command in that list. Try it again. This time it won't say /mnt was busy.

ok so, that problem is solved, but still doesn't install it. I mean, maybe it's installed, but it doesn't boot into kali (even entering to boot menu doesn't appear the GRUB loader). When I introduce the command update-grub it shows this:

root@kali:/# update-grub
    Generating grub configuration file...
    Found background image: /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png
    Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz4.6.0-kali1-amd64
    Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.6.0-kali1-amd64
    WARNING: Failed to cennect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.
    Adding boot menu entry for EFI firmware configuration
    done

thanks for the patience!

I've to test this lvmetad warning. Maybe that is preventing grub to be appeared in boot-menu. I've started to see this warning lately. In 2016.2 kali-rolling there were no such warning issues.

I don't know, but I have seen other threads too with the same problem of the grub loader not appearing with kali 2016.2, and by the way, I'm not sure I have said it before but I'm installing the 2016.2 version.

Hope that this warning is the final problem xD thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
    I don't know, but I have seen other threads too with the same problem of the grub loader not appearing with kali 2016.2, and by the way, I'm not sure I have said it before but I'm installing the 2016.2 version.

Hope that this warning is the final problem xD thanks!
    2016.2 kernel version 4.6 doesn't have these warning issues.

Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    2016.2 kernel version 4.6 doesn't have these warning issues.
    Well then I don't know what is going on in my case or with my computer, I have tried installing again the 2016.2 kernel and reinstalling the grub with your code but the same error appears when entering the update-grub command. Now I'm going to try with the 2016.1 kernel.

I think i may have found the solution. I didn't able to test it because i don't have a PC running with your problem. After booting into kali-live

in /etc/lvm/lvm.conf set:
    use_lvmetad = 0
    Stop LVM prior to doing that: /etc/init.d/lvm stop. Make the change and restart LVM: /etc/init.d/lvm start.

Now here's an ambiguity. I'm not sure if you are supposed to make changes in lvm.conf of mounted linux partition or the lvm.conf of kali-live. As we run chroot command to run the process in that particular directory so it's more likely that you need to change the lvm.conf of your mounted linux partition. After mounting your linux filesystem partition using mount /dev/sda* /mnt. Go to /mnt/etc/lvm/lvm.conf and make the changes. Then run rest of the commands. LVM starts running as soon as you boot kali-live so you need to stop it before making changes.

If it doesn't work then there must be lvm.conf of kali-live which needs to be changed. Ambiguity will solve.