Hi,

I have installed virtualbox with Kali 2016.2, the system powers up great but when I attempted to use Xerosploit there was no IP addresses being discovered. I then attempted to sniff using ettercap but had the exact same results, nothing showing apart from my virtualbox IP. I then tried to enter monitor mode using the command airmon-ng start wlan0 (I killed the processes that needed to be) but the same negative results occurred. This is the exact result I get when I attempt to enter monitor mode.

Code:
root@kali:~# airmon-ng start wlan0
ls: cannot access '/sys/class/ieee80211/': No such file or directory

PHY	Interface	Driver		Chipset

root@kali:~#
My network card is a Killer 1535. At first I presumed that the issue was occurring because my network card was not compatible, or missing the correct needed drivers. So I decided to plug in my USB Alfa Network 802.11n, I know that this USB network card is compatible with Kali because I have used it in the past. Through this I have discovered that is issue must be with the fact that I am running Kali through virtualbox, but from my understanding USB network cards work fine with virtualbox.

I am confused as to why this is happening, I would greatly appreciate any help and information.

Thanks!