Thread: Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 + – Download, Install, & Desktop Integration

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.5 + – Download, Install, & Desktop Integration

After searching the forum, I did not locate any useful How-To for installing OpenOffice. This How-To is generated from the OpenOffice Instructions and my own personal experience.

You will need to either use root or sudo. You make the call based on your own studies.

Though Kali should not have a LibreOffice or OpenOffice package installed, it's a good idea to verify to be sure you don't run into trouble.

Code:
     # apt remove libreoffice* openoffice*
    Next, OpenOffice does not use any standard repositories, so we get the package from sourceforge.net (it's up to you to verify the download's signatures).

Code:
     # wget sourceforge.net/projects/openofficeorg.mirror/files/4.1.5/binaries/en-US/Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.5_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz
    (If you want a different version other than the US English 4.1.5 version, merely navigate in your browser to https://sourceforge.net/projects/ope....mirror/files/ and work out from there, substituting the requisite folders in your wget command. Also, pay attention to your language/county designation, you will also have to substitute <en-US> in later commands to correlate with whatever you substituted <en-US> for in wget.)

To extract , use the following commands per the instructions from the OpenOffice guide.

Code:
     # tar -xvzf Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.5_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz
    Now, to install with dpkg.

Code:
     # cd /en-US/DEBS
    Code:
     # dpkg -i *.deb
    Last, desktop integration with dpkg.

Code:
     # cd /desktop-integration
    Code:
     # dpkg -i *.deb
    You should now find OpenOffice in your all applications menu.

Enjoy!

Out of curiosity, why would someone switch from libreoffice which is the repo (so, it stays up to date) to openoffice?

Btw, you probably want to use apt-get purge instead of remove, followed by apt-get autoremove. And you also want to update the system first, using apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade && reboot.

I didn't even see libreoffice on initial install, nor did it come up on and apt-get search for me. The apt remove libreoffice* openoffice* did not indicate anything being removed.

I've used OpenOffice for years, so if I had to go out and choose one to install, I chose the one I was familiar with.

I do appreciate the input on how to remove the application more cleanly. I am fairly new to Linux, thus my write up was based on the linked documentation and that it worked for me. Looking at your commands, it makes sense that your method would have better results.

apt-get install libreoffice

Mister_X,

Again, thank you for your input. I like the idea of being able to keep my office software up to date with the rest of the system. Using the commands you suggested, I removed OpenOffice and installed LibreOffice. I played with it a little and Libre appears to have more readily accessible functionality than OpenOffice (example, it's easy to find the menu for inserting a table of contents... something I actually have to do often, unfortunately).

Because of your input here, I believe I will leave this thread up as I believe it can be useful for new users (if they read past the first post).