Thread: Not enough space on tmp

Not enough space on tmp

Hi, I'm running kali 2016.2 as live usb(16GB) and I need to install a program via .run command from terminal.
    The problemi is that as soon as I run into the .run command and the installation begins, it just aborts giving me the following string:
    "Not enough space on partition mounted at /tmp" .......so the requested space for installation should be approximately about 1.8 GB
    and of course /tmp partition is not as big, plus I don't have nothing installed more than the standard kali programs that comes in the kali ISO.
    I know /tmp is a sort of temporary small partition, sometimes mounted as Ram disk, that of course cannot be as big as I need( I think)
    The question is:
    Are there any methods that could allow me to execute my .run installer command without getting out of space?
    P.S. the file I'm trying to install is the nvidia CUDA toolkit that includes proprietary drivers too.

You would be better off using a full install to install CUDA (and the proprietary drivers needed) or creating your own custom iso with the files integrated.

I don't know of a howto to add the proprietary bits, but there are instructions for making a custom ISO/liveusb on the docs.kali.org website.

Quote Originally Posted by steev View Post
    You would be better off using a full install to install CUDA (and the proprietary drivers needed) or creating your own custom iso with the files integrated.

I don't know of a howto to add the proprietary bits, but there are instructions for making a custom ISO/liveusb on the docs.kali.org website.
    Thanks for the support, so there's no way to get my installation done on my current live USB?
    I can only use a USB live installation, no possibilities to perform a full installation on my PC's HD....And the custom ISO creation sounds pretty complicated...Just in case, I'll be able to install this custom ISO(with cuda installed) as live USB ?
    P.S. I'm worried about the conflict that could rise between Nvidia driver and nouveau....Now this problem is resolved by the Nvidia installer that disable the nouveau driver, but if I follow your advice and I include Nvidia driver in a custom Kali ISO, I'm afraid it might not work