Thread: restore / reinstall usb dual boot kali live??

restore / reinstall usb dual boot kali live??

So I was trying to install fluxion based on the instructions in this tutorial ---http://www.kalitutorials.net/2016/08/hacking-wpawpa-2-without.html---, and of course it was missing some dependencies, I tried apt-get, and updating the apt, downloading them manually, and I just couldn't get it to work. I checked the sources.list like they say to, and noticed the list was different than what they said it should have for rolling kali 2016.2. I changed the 2 items listed ( which included some debian stuff i think, it said debain on it.) I deleted the text, and typed in the 2 items from the rolling kali instructions from here ---http://docs.kali.org/general-use/kali-linux-sources-list-repositories--- after all this, I could not install the isc-dhcp-server, hostapd, lighttpd, and php-cgi. I deleted all the files from fluxion off the system, reinstalled them to path, and tryied upgrading them via apt-get upgrade the directory. Im not sure if it went as planned, it seems like it was upgrading the whole kali system, it took a couple hours. After all this, it told me my version of linux was bad, and if I want to cancel upgrade and keep version, to cancel and restart. I did so, and now Kali wont load, it freezes up trying to load the initial ramdisk info at boot screen. Plz help, Im not sure if I can just fix it somehow, or if i need to reinstall Kali altogether ( which I have no idea how to do. Kali is my first time playing w linux) I made a new usb live boot disk from the same old iso i used to make the kali, but it still got stuck. Thanks everyone, I'm really stuck here!

also, if anyone has any good instructions on how to get those repos that didnt want to cooperate, that would be awesome as well.

To boOts

1. You are using a live usb install. First you need to make your live usb install persistent so it saves its work between reboots. There are tutorials is the how tos in this forum or use the kali tutorial. MTeams suggests the howtos.

2. You state your usb is dual boot. MTeams is not sure what you mean here.

Once you get your persistence functioning then change your sources list and try and update your usb. DO NOT upgrade.

Your sources list addresses should not have the symbol # at the start of the command line. This turns the command line into a text comment which linux ignores.

Get an internet connection thru NetworkManager

If your computer has an internally installed wifi use that over a wifi device thru usb for the first update. Once the update is installed you can use your usb wifi.

Once you get the update installed then individually install your files example;

apt-get install isc-dhcp-server

Musket Teams

Thx for the info. I am going to change top persistent . I did manage to fix the issue by fixing the sources.list and the updating get while in recovery mode. Appreciate your help very much !!!

You were messing up kali-linux while keeping incorrect repositories. They continue to warn users not to make changes in sources.list file other than which has already been mentioned in the kali-linux documentary. It may crash your kernel which i think it did.

I read all about the sources.list and repos and there was in fact something to be removed, but I did do some damage. I can now only boot into amd 64 forensic mode. both live and failsafe freeze at initrd.img loading. Also noticed that when live attempts boot, it says loading 4.8.0 kali2-amd, and when I do boot up into forensic, it has a 4.6.0kalil-amd64#1 Debian4.6.4 1kalil (2016-07-21) x84_64 GNU/Linux. Im pretty sure my kernel is all jacked up. Not sure how to fix this, I was thinking about downloading a new ISO and starting from scratch again. But i really don't have too much experience with dual boot, I'm going to have to do a lot of research so I know i uninstall / remove / repartition / install etc etc correctly. so im in google mode rt now. any help is much appreciated, thax everyone

Even your failsafe is not working? These are signs that your kernel is crashed and not in the state of recoverable. Make a fresh install.

thanks, i am going to attempt a fresh start tonight. ill let yall know how it turns out.