Thread: Need a little help with Kali Linux functions.

Need a little help with Kali Linux functions.

This is my first Post.
    Hopefully someone will have time to answer a few questions newbie.
    I'm in the process of transitioning from OS Windows to Kali Linux.
    To Launch Kali, I am running Kali Alive from a USB Flash drive.

Initially my problems are Getting volume turned on, Task Manager, Saving Changes.

(Q) Can someone tell me how can I get the volume control button visible. Right now everything is muted.
    I went to All settings, Sound. But everything is Read protected only.There some Youtube related to this question, but I can't
    get any sound.

(Q) In OS Windows, there is an option to monitor/delete active applications, files etc. What is the Linux version of Task manager.

(Q) As mention before, I launch a fresh copy of Kali Alive to get in. Obviously any documents, bookmarks etc created, disappear when
    a new copy of Kali alive is launched. How do you maintain docs, bookmarks in Kali. Right now I transfer Docs to OS windows to save, but I want to get off
    Windows eventually
    (Q) There are a number of programs on Kali Alive, can you suggest what a beginner should learn first.
    I don't want to bother you people all the time. Are there any on-line books on Kali for beginners you can recommend.

Thanks for your help
    Jef.

Take a break, and come back to your system.

System monitor = Task Manager

To fix your sound you must run Kali Linux persistence which will allow you to save and keep files, and updates. Which also answer's your other question, pertaining to saving files.

Once you're running Persistence follow this guide, which was posted by: deanMKD1

1. Turn on Kali Linux, open terminal and type in sudo killall pulseaudio and hit enter. Now type next.

sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio pulseaudio-utils gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio paman pavumeter pavucontrol

and again hit enter.
    2. Continue typing and now type rm ~/ .pulse-cookie , after that type rm -r ~/ .pulse and after this type next.

sudo apt-get install alsa-base alsa-tools alsa-tools-gui alsa-utils alsa-oss alsamixergui libalsaplayer0

and at last type apt-get install kmix and hit enter.
    3. And now restart machine.
    4. OK now again open terminal and start typing on terminal and type next apt-get install pulseaudio and hit enter and and last type apt-get install gnome-core and again hit enter.
    5. Restart machine.
    Now you can see the result, all works great, problem solved

Worked for me. Hope this helps you.

Link to Forum post about sound:

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...dio-on-startup

For sound enter systemctl --user enable pulseaudio && systemctl --user start pulseaudio.
    Use kali-live Persistent if you want to save anything in kali-linux. Kali-live Persistent uses your USB as storage.

@jefx3, what is your familiarity with linux in general? Have you worked with Ubuntu, Mint, etc? If you're completely new to linux, I suggest learning linux basics on one of those distros first...Kali can be extremely difficult for those new to linux. Reason being that most of Kali is command-line driven.

In terms of what Kali software to learn first, what's your background in IT and security? System admin, server admin, programmer, etc? Kali has a number of tools to cover many scenarios, so what to learn depends on what you plan to do with Kali (e.g. wireless security, web app testing, etc).

@AldaRoN.
    Hi. I'm still not very proficient in Kali commands.Which one are joined together. I have "sudo killall pulseaudio" ok. The following lines proceeding I'm not sure when to hit enter. User= Defalt instructions did turned on my Sound. Do I need these command? If yes could you cntl-break between each command.

@Defalt.
    The Sound worked perfectly, after command was entered.

For saving:
    I Logoff, Logon, selected Kali-live Persistent. Created a document, saved in root/document/mydoc and saved on Desktop
    Logoff, Logon, Selected kali-live Persistent. Document disappear from desktop & root/document also Sound reverted mute.
    Jef.

@grid.
    Basically, I only started looking at it 3 weeks ago.
    I lost my free wifi in my building,and a friend help prepare,
    some spoofing commands with me. I've used Windows prompt commands, but this appears to give you more control of the system.
    I really find it challenging and interesting.

I've just been looking at basic KL command lines online. Even some of the beginners guide online are somewhat challenging, but I want to learn.
    If you had to pin me down, spoofing friends but more cctv. I'm a live webcam fan, especially when I'm traveling.
    I do not intend to be proficient as you guys, but rather just understand the Infrastructure and basic commands. More of a novice and a hobby.
    I also want to transition my docs/apps onto Kali Since, I do not see free wifi available in my building for the forcible future.
    Ive been a windows developer/Mgr for 24 years, now semi retired and travel 8 months a year to Asia before returning to the U.S.
    So yes, I could look at it as hobby now, that could grow.
    Also,some residences I reside in overseas,have only paid wifi, some of these tools could be an immediate benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by jefx3 View Post
    @Defalt.
    Instructions did turned on my Sound. Do I need these command? If yes could you cntl-break between each command.The Sound worked perfectly, after command was entered.
    You don't have to enter that command again in kali-live persistent. That command permanently enables sound. What is cntl-break? Each command? This is a single command with && in between it.

Quote Originally Posted by jefx3 View Post
    For saving:
    I Logoff, Logon, selected Kali-live Persistent. Created a document, saved in root/document/mydoc and saved on Desktop
    Logoff, Logon, Selected kali-live Persistent. Document disappear from desktop & root/document also Sound reverted mute.
    Jef.
    Perhaps you forgot to create persistent partition in your USB. Just by booting into persistent mode doesn't give you persistency.

Follow this link how to add persistency in your live USB: http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...sb-persistence
    Last edited by maiki; 2017-03-01 at 13:12. Reason: Remove YouTube video

@jefx3, based on that, I'd say start experimenting with the wireless aspects of Kali. Tools like the aircrack-ng suite, kismet, wash, etc. There are some great wireless tutorials on the aircrack-ng.org website. Here on the Kali forums, you can find info on wireless cards to buy.

You might also consider buying a basic access point on which to practice. I'd also check with your friends, and see if they will let you practice on their wireless networks; it's good experience.

@grid

Will begin looking into your recommendations. Thanks,

jefx3.

No problem, jefx3. Good luck

From my experience, Kali really shines when it comes to web application testing. With your background in programming, you may find that interesting too. If so, check out the tools BurpSuite, and ZAP.