Thread: Installing Kali on Orange Pi Zero with SSH Enabled on Startup

Installing Kali on Orange Pi Zero with SSH Enabled on Startup

So, I am building a tiny little portable "hacking" machine, nothing malicious, just for fun, using a orange pi zero. As you may know, it has no video out, so I need to enable SSH, but kali doesn't have SSH enabled by default, so there is no way to enable it. I was thinking of installing kali on the SD Card, booting to it from a different PC, then enabling SSH upon startup, but I have to install an ARM version of Kali, which won't run on my desktop, and I don't have any other ARM devices. Also, on the Orange PI website (http://www.orangepi.org/downloaded/download.html) there is no Kali download for the zero (I think possibly because it uses the allwinner H2 As opposed to the H3), and I wouldn't know which ARM version to download off the kali download page, so if somebody could tell me which download would work best (or work at all), that would be very helpful. What do you think the best way to enable SSH is on kali before sticking it into my pi?

If you have a linux system, you can use qemu to chroot into the sdcard's "install".

Alternatively, create a symlink in the sdcard's /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants directory to ssh.service

Something like

"ln -sf /lib/systemd/system/ssh.service ssh.service"

Keep in mind that we want it exactly like that because in the end, we want the symlink to point to where it would on a normal boot, and NOT towards where the file is on the sdcard when it is mounted.

That first one seems like it would work best for some one with little linux experience (me). Do you have any ideas as to which kali image I should choose? The armHF image didn't work for me.

There isn't one, so you'd have to roll your own. The easiest way would be to look through the scripts and find one closest to the device you're using (probably one of the other Allwinner scripts) and modify it to support your board.

Where can I learn to modify linux installs?