Thread: Win10 Kali Dual boot install

Win10 Kali Dual boot install

I have been trying to install kali linux as a dual boot on 150gb Partition. I have an HP computer and it is less than a year old. The Graphics and processor are AMD. I have read several of the post with dual booting kali linux, but none with the same problem i am having. i have disabled secure boot and installed kali on my HDD and it booted at first giving me a failure on [email protected]. Then Kali home screen usually shows up and then the screen goes black. I tried pressing CTL+ALT+Del to reboot the system. a few times i have had enough time to open the terminal and run systemctl. After the screen went black i tried typing in shutdown -r 0 to try and reboot the system this is also unresponsive. This problem occurs both when Kali is installed on the HDD and also when i am running Kali live from the USB. Appreciate some incite i have created a bootable USB from Rufus, Win32, universal USB installer. Is there a UBS boot creator that works better. Is anyone having the same problem i am where you get a black screen after Kali boots. I installed Kali linux 2016.2 on my old computer with no problems. I think my issues are arising from the EUFI Bios however, i enabled legacy boot and i still have the same problems.

so my questions are

1. Before in install Kali linux on my computer again is there a way to fix the boot files so the screen doesn't black out again.
    2. If i just go ahead and install Kali on my computer again is there a way to boot with grub and alter the boot up so the screen doesn't fail or go black. I do not have the option to change screen selection in my BIOS. I have rebuild the Win10 os on my computer three times so far and do not wish to do it again which is why i am a little hesitant to install kali again because everytime i do it changes my bootloader to grub.
    3. Is there a way to install Kali Linux on the computer and not change the bootoader or have windows be the primary if no keys are pressed.(sometimes me wife uses my laptop and if it boots auto into Kali she will be totally lost.

Thank you for your time and i hope there is a solution. i will add anything that is needed im just not sure what all will be most helpful in fixing this problem.

I think the issue is with your graphic driver. That doesn't sound like a boot problem because sometimes you are able to reach screen and then it goes black. There are lot of complaints by those users who have dedicated graphics like Nvidia and AMD.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenDiver View Post
    2.I do not have the option to change screen selection in my BIOS. I have rebuild the Win10 os on my computer three times so far and do not wish to do it again which is why i am a little hesitant to install kali again because everytime i do it changes my bootloader to grub.
    3. Is there a way to install Kali Linux on the computer and not change the bootoader or have windows be the primary if no keys are pressed.(sometimes me wife uses my laptop and if it boots auto into Kali she will be totally lost.
    In my knowledge, UEFI stores both the bootloaders and create entries for each in the boot options. Bootloader with the first priority boots its corresponding OS. So when you dual-boot your PC, kali-linux grub bootloader doesn't overwrite Windows OS boot Manager. Grub gets installed in the EFI partition where Windows OS boot Manager is already present. This is what i do in my PC. By default Windows OS boot Manager has first priority to boot windows so when i power on my PC it simply boots windows as if there is no other OS exist. To boot kali linux i press F9 to go to boot menu options where i can manually choose to boot either of the OS.

I think in your UEFI settings grub bootloader has 1st priority to boot. Go to UEFI settings>BOOT>There you can rank priority. Then next time when someone else turns on your PC, windows 10 will boot.

Thank you for your response. Do you happen to know of where i can get the correct driver for an AMD Radeon(TM) R6 Graphics card that will work with Linux. I went in the AMD website and cannot find AMD Radeon R6 driver option
    Last edited by GreenDiver; 2017-01-23 at 21:42. Reason: Adding graphics card

Proprietary drivers are either offered by the manufacturer(AMD) or by kali-linux repository itself. I don't know much about from where you can download them. If somehow you find them then just copy them in /lib/firmware.
    I would also search them on github.