Thread: I successfully installed Kali in one USB but now I can't seem to do it again

I successfully installed Kali in one USB but now I can't seem to do it again

I successfully installed Kali on a PNY 3.0 16GB USB. I did it using these steps:

-Downloaded Kali off the official website
    -Installed the iso into the USB using Universal USB Installer
    -Used Mini Partition Wizard Free to partition the USB because I wanted to install persistence
    -Changed the boot priority in BIOS on my laptop
    -Boom - done. It boots up.

I wanted to install Kali on a SanDisk USB for a friend. I did the SAME EXACT STEPS -including downloading another copy off the website - and when I plugged my USB into my laptop, I got the following error:
    "No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!"

Since I'm new to this, I thought it was the USB and used another USB that was the same exact model as the one that works, just for the sake of limiting the variables.

Still got the same error.

I plugged in both my first Kali bootable USB and the new one I tried to make and compared the files side-by-side on Windows File Explorer. I noticed that in the new USB, some files were missing. I copied them from my first USB to the new one in hopes that it would fix the missing pieces - but still nothing. I this time got simple "Boot error."

I then thought maybe the new download I got from the website was somehow corrupted. Luckily I saved the first iso image I ever downloaded. I used that - and oddly enough those missing files installed correctly. But the OS still wouldn't boot - this time no error came up. Simply put - nothing happens. The screen is black except for a flashing small white bar on the top left.

I tried using Win32 DiskImager but to no avail. Whenever I use that, Windows seems to get confused when I want to look at the files on the USB - it keeps wanting to format the USB even though I formatted it. I've erased, reinstalled the OS, uninstalled and reformatted the new USB countless times by now - I'm reaching the end of my patience here. What the **** am I doing wrong? I did it perfectly the first time around.

I use linux to do all that and exactly followed the instructions from here : http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...ve-usb-install
    It also shows how it could be done under Windows.
    Unfortunately I did an update today that wouldn't complete, I restarted to end up with an unbootable USB-stick.
    Now I wanted to make a new one and looked at the weekly images here : http://cdimage.kali.org/kali-images/kali-weekly/
    Now I don't see the the images anywhere the one I used last week was "kali-linux-2017-W03-amd64" which I cannot even find anymore and no new one either.
    Do you know where I can find "kali-linux-2017-W04-amd64" ??
    This time I want to do an real "install" on USB stick instead of a live version with a persistence partition.

Edmund

Oh right I forgot to mention that I'm installing from a Windows PC/laptop.

The weekly images confuse me. Are they the same exact OS as version 2016.2? They're just freshly uploaded? Or is there something different about them?

I found the W04 on the same link you just gave me. Maybe they temporarily put it down for whatever reason. It wasn't there earlier when I first clicked your link but it's there now today.