Thread: Features not working after install

Features not working after install

I installed Kali 2016.2 on my old Dell XPS and Lenovo (both are approx. 5+ years old and use regular/legacy bios) and everything went smooth and works perfectly.

This week I decided to install Kali on my <1 year old Alienware 17 laptop, using the EFI method found on these forums, I got a couple of missing firmware errors which I'm not sure where to download but I continued anyway.
    Everything seems to go ok, once I finished I login and notice that I am unable to load the software installer, system settings or users configuration like I can with my old laptops. On the menu bar it shows "settings" after clicking on the icon, but then that text disappears from the menu bar after 1-2 seconds and I briefly see a quick flash of the screen if the app.

So since this was installed using EFI and the others weren't I decided to install it again using the legacy method, this install went the same way, missing firmware at first and unable to load settings as described above.

I am using 2 m.2 drives, and kali is installed using the entire disk of the 2nd one.

Thank you kindly for your help.

Did you take a note which firmwares are missing? Enabling Legacy BIOS is not important to install kali linux. Any guide which tells you to enable Legacy BIOS it means that's an old guide. New PCs are not getting BIOS back. They all come with UEFI.

Quote Originally Posted by xi0nis View Post
    I installed Kali 2016.2 on my old Dell XPS and Lenovo (both are approx. 5+ years old and use regular/legacy bios) and everything went smooth and works perfectly.

This week I decided to install Kali on my <1 year old Alienware 17 laptop, using the EFI method found on these forums, I got a couple of missing firmware errors which I'm not sure where to download but I continued anyway.
    Everything seems to go ok, once I finished I login and notice that I am unable to load the software installer, system settings or users configuration like I can with my old laptops. On the menu bar it shows "settings" after clicking on the icon, but then that text disappears from the menu bar after 1-2 seconds and I briefly see a quick flash of the screen if the app.

So since this was installed using EFI and the others weren't I decided to install it again using the legacy method, this install went the same way, missing firmware at first and unable to load settings as described above.

I am using 2 m.2 drives, and kali is installed using the entire disk of the 2nd one.

Thank you kindly for your help.

Can you specify your graphics setup on your alienware computer?

Are you able to access and use a terminal? If not, try: Ctrl+Alt F4 at login, enter your details than try, nano /var/log/messages OR nano /var/log/kern.log
    *The idea here is to look for any hints that may help you fix the problem or something to research further.