Thread: pyrit Problem (How Much Disc Space?)

Question pyrit Problem (How Much Disc Space?)

I have Kali Linux installed on an external hard drive connected to my desktop via USB. I am having no problems running pyrit against a handshake using the attack_ passthrough command. When I try to run pyrit against a handshake using either the attack_db or attack_batch commands I have problems. Just a few minutes into the process- I am confronted with an out of disc space error message.

My persistence partition is around 300 GB. I moved the imported password list in pyrit's blobspace folder to the persistence partition. No Workee! My next thought is to expand the size of the Kali Linux OS partition at the expense of the persistence partition on my external hard drive. Unfortunately, I cannot find any guidance on the internet. Does anyone know how much space pyrit needs to run the attack_db and attack_batch commands?

It's RAM thats limiting you, not disk space... Running long or disk intensive operations in Live mode is not recommended.

RAM is not the issue

Quote Originally Posted by muts View Post
    It's RAM thats limiting you, not disk space... Running long or disk intensive operations in Live mode is not recommended.
    Excuse me, Sir. RAM is not the issue. I can run a dictionary attack with Aircrack for days on end and not get an error message. I can run a dictionary attack with pyrit (attack_passthrough) for days on end and not get an error message. These two attacks are carried out with my dictionary file resting on my very spacious persistence partition. This is the path to my problem:

First, I use pyrit to 'import' my password list. Second, I issue the 'batch' command to precompute my PMK's. Then, when I try to use: pyrit -r handshake.cap -e MyESSID -b 00:00:00:00:00:00 -o Dictionary.txt attack_batch
    I get error messages about low disc space. Anyone else have any ideas?

Sounds like you might not understand how unionfs works with live-build, despite you thinking otherwise. However, if you deem it not to be a Kali issue, then this forum isn't the right place for this post. Perhaps you should try the pyrit community instead.

Question Change Partition Allocations?

Quote Originally Posted by muts View Post
    Sounds like you might not understand how unionfs works with live-build, despite you thinking otherwise. However, if you deem it not to be a Kali issue, then this forum isn't the right place for this post. Perhaps you should try the pyrit community instead.
    Let's approach the problem from another direction. I allocated roughly 30 GB to the Kali OS and about 275 GB to the persistence partition on my external hard drive. How much space should I give over to the OS partition to make the 'low disc space' messages go away?

Hello, you should try to monitor your disk space(using df) and your ram(htop or other) to see exactly where is your issue did it before during and after then you should understand what happen and be able to fix the issue