Thread: Can't Install w3af on Kali Linux

Can't Install w3af on Kali Linux

Good day,
    first of all i want to apolgies myself if i won't wrote the right english language and if this isn't the right thread for this case. If this isn't the right thread i hope someone will tell me where is the right one because i didn't found it. Thanks!

I tried to use w3af on kali linux but every time it freezes and just stops going.

So i tried to upgrade it. Nothing changed.

Then i decided to remove it and try to install it again.

I did everything i found on http://docs.w3af.org/en , from install to update.

I'll attach here what happens if i try the standard installation. Standard Installation w3af.txt.zip (i did a zip because i don't know why firefox doesn't allowed me to upload a text file)

(I upgraded python-pip and kali to the latest version)

I choose to do this install because if you try to do the kali linux install procedure you'll see that the terminal will show you a message containing something like "w3af is not avaiable but is been noticed in another..." something like that, i don't remember.

Please help me or give me some advice, even about how this terminal works.
    I got this OS from 2 days, i always used Windows so is a little particular to understand.

Thanks, Max

////UPDATE////

Thanks for answer me, i'll put here some info there are needed to follow the rules:

Kali Linux 64 bit version 2016.2, i've done the full-upgrade right now (i don't know if this may help you).

You can check the error i got in the txt zip attachment (is like 30 kb that is why is zipped, the system doesn't allow me to upload more then 19,5kb)

It doesn't allow me to put the string error, the forum says that i'm trying to exploit something.

However, hope this will help to help me !

Thanks !

I installed something, actually a lot of things that i found on the other people issues.
    I finally got this error during the installation:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/pip", line 9, in <module>
    from pip import main
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pip/__init__.py", line 21, in <module>
    from pip._vendor.requests.packages.urllib3.exceptions import DependencyWarning
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pip/_vendor/__init__.py", line 64, in <module>
    vendored("cachecontrol")
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pip/_vendor/__init__.py", line 36, in vendored
    __import__(modulename, globals(), locals(), level=0)
    File "/usr/share/python-wheels/CacheControl-0.11.7-py2.py3-none-any.whl/cachecontrol/__init__.py", line 9, in <module>
    File "/usr/share/python-wheels/CacheControl-0.11.7-py2.py3-none-any.whl/cachecontrol/wrapper.py", line 1, in <module>
    File "/usr/share/python-wheels/CacheControl-0.11.7-py2.py3-none-any.whl/cachecontrol/adapter.py", line 4, in <module>
    File "/usr/share/python-wheels/requests-2.12.4-py2.py3-none-any.whl/requests/__init__.py", line 52, in <module>
    File "/usr/share/python-wheels/requests-2.12.4-py2.py3-none-any.whl/requests/packages/__init__.py", line 59, in <module>
    File "/usr/share/python-wheels/requests-2.12.4-py2.py3-none-any.whl/requests/packages/__init__.py", line 32, in vendored
    File "/usr/share/python-wheels/urllib3-1.19.1-py2.py3-none-any.whl/urllib3/contrib/pyopenssl.py", line 47, in <module>
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/OpenSSL/__init__.py", line 8, in <module>
    from OpenSSL import rand, crypto, SSL
    File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/OpenSSL/SSL.py", line 118, in <module>
    SSL_ST_INIT = _lib.SSL_ST_INIT
    AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'SSL_ST_INIT'

And you can see on this https://github.com/MobSF/Mobile-Secu...bSF/issues/293
    that is fixed but i can't understand how to do it.

Thanks again !
    Last edited by Pentium077; 2017-02-07 at 00:09.

If you don't have any Linux experience, I suggest installing w3af on a more general distro like Ubuntu, Mint, etc. Kali can be extremely difficult for a new *nix user.

That being said, can you post your zip just as plain text? Speaking for myself, I'm reluctant to download it. Also, I'd check the output in /var/log, and dmesg... you'll find some info there that can help.

Hello, have you try to update your repository before installing w3af(apt-get update) and does your sources.list have all the kali repo(and only those). I can also confirm you that i have w3af installed on my setup from the repo.

Thanks for the answer. I know that maybe kali is not the best way to start but i chose this one for the tools he got, i'm trying to understand how things works, little by little, watching video and learning something on the internet. However i checked the dmesg as you sad and it was empty. Any other advice ? No problem if you don't want to open the file, is like for the 80% installation of w3af and then the error. Really appreciate, still thanks !

UPDATE 1:
    I opened the source.list and find this

#

# deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 2016.1 _Kali-rolling_ - Official Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20160830-11:29]/ kali-rolling contrib main non-free

#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 2016.1 _Kali-rolling_ - Official Snapshot amd64 LIVE/INSTALL Binary 20160830-11:29]/ kali-rolling contrib main non-free

deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main non-free contrib
    # deb-src http://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main non-free contrib

How can i update a repository ? I just update with full-upgrade and dist-upgrade
    Thanks for the answer !

UPDATE 2:
    Quote Originally Posted by grid View Post
    If you don't have any Linux experience, I suggest installing w3af on a more general distro like Ubuntu, Mint, etc. Kali can be extremely difficult for a new *nix user.

That being said, can you post your zip just as plain text? Speaking for myself, I'm reluctant to download it. Also, I'd check the output in /var/log, and dmesg... you'll find some info there that can help.
    As you can read now i'm able to write the error, i hope you'll still want to help me grid !
    Thanks !
    Last edited by maiki; 2017-02-07 at 11:35. Reason: Merge posts

Looks like it's the OpenSSL package with the Python 2.7 install. I'd try removing & reinstalling python 2.7, and w3af

Quote Originally Posted by grid View Post
    Looks like it's the OpenSSL package with the Python 2.7 install. I'd try removing & reinstalling python 2.7, and w3af
    Ok' I'll try as I can. However, if I put the right value in all the <module> it will work right ? I don't know the right value, just to understand. Thanks, I'll let you know.
    Could you tell me how to download or upgrade OpenSSL? Because I didn't find a way

apt-get install openssl will install the latest release(so upgrade if already installed

@[arist0v] @[grid] (hope this will tag you)

I've done what you told arist0v, i got the latest version 16.0.1 and i tried even what you told grid, doesn't works.
    However maybe i discovered why doesn't works.
    Into python2.7 i found the Open SLL folder and is running the version 16.0.0
    I checked and the SSL_ST_INIT bug is fixed on the version 16.0.1, so doesn't works on 16.0.0

I ask you how to change the OpenSSL that python2.7 use, in order to fix this issue.
    I tried to change the full folder of the OSSL 16.0.0 with the 16.0.1 ones, but it doesn't works.

Still thanks for your diligence!

Unfortunately, that's deeper into python than I've ever gone; not had to do that myself. I'd do some web searches and see what comes up. It's likely something that someone has seen and resolved on a python support forum somewhere. You may also find some answers at w3af.org

use pip to install library!
    also using virtualenv could help you avoid issue if you need the current openssl for other python stuff

Guys I fixed it, I missed the -lz as the error says and I found it in a pack but I don't remember the name, I'll write here as I find it again in order to help someone that got my same problem.

However now there's another problem, I can't run ./w3af_gui because terminal says that the system didn't met the GTK >= 2.12
    And PyGTK >=2.12

I have GTK 3,0 and I didn't find how to update them.
    Please help 🙈😅