Thread: Kali Boot Freezes After Updating from 2.0 to Rolling

Kali Boot Freezes After Updating from 2.0 to Rolling

Hello,

I recently had Kali 2.0 (Sana) installed and everything worked perfectly. I decided to update to Rolling today and the updates seemed to go smoothly, no unexpected encounters. After finishing apt-get dist-upgrade, I rebooted and the boot froze. I have tried a couple things to see if I can't get around it, but I haven't had any luck so far. Here's a run down of what's happening and what I've tried.

Side note: I recently upgraded my GPU and had replace "nouveau.modeset=0" to "nomodeset" to allow for a semi-proper boot. I then installed (what I believed to be) the proper drivers for my new GPU. This all took place before my update to Rolling.

Here's a video of what booting into the machine with "nomodeset" - It would then hang until CTRL+ALT+DEL was inputted to restart.

I have tried swapping between "nouveau.modeset=0", "nvidia.modeset=0", and "nomodeset" and the only one that doesn't produce a dim, blank screen is "nomodeset" which leads me to believe that I didn't properly install the drivers needed for my GPU. But this is an issue for another day.

This lead me to trying to boot in with secure mode under Advanced Options in Grub. With that, I would get the same dim, blank screen if I didn't manually change "nouveau.modeset=0" to "nomodeset" but during that boot, it would hang here File_002.jpg where it would sit until CTRL+ALT+DEL was inputted.

I feel that I am out of options with searching around as nothing really seems to fit the exact predicament that I am in. But I will continue searching in hopes of finding a solution.

In the mean time, I hope that someone who sees this will be able to aid me as I lack the knowledge to know exactly what is going on. If there seems to be anything that I left out, I will try to add it ASAP. And if there's anything else that may be needed for a timely solution, please let me know. Thanks!

When grub menu appears, press e to open grub parameters and replace quiet with nomodeset quiet splash.

Quote Originally Posted by _defalt View Post
    When grub menu appears, press e to open grub parameters and replace quiet with nomodeset quiet splash.
    No such luck with the normal boot or recovery mode boot. Debating about reinstalling a fresh version of Kali Rolling. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I should have been more specific, after editing the parameters, I still encountered the same errors as in my original post, in both the normal boot and recovery mode.
    Last edited by ellcrys; 2017-02-14 at 02:14.

Frrsh install of kali-rolling is better than upgrading it from sana.