Thread: Trouble Installing Kali USB

Trouble Installing Kali USB

I'm fairly new and having trouble installing Kali Linux on a separate partition through USB.

My current OS is Windows 10 and I initially I used Win32DiskImager to write the image onto a 16GB usb. When the operation succeeded I noticed that when I tried to browse the files in windows explorer, explorer would return an error message and not show any files on the USB. I ignored that and continued to set the BIOS to boot from USB and attempted to install but I got stuck in a blank screen.

Upon further inspection I had to use Partition Wizard to correct the USB key since it was segmented into three sections from Win32DiskImager, one 2GB NTFS, one FAT32 and one unallocated section.

I assumed that Win32DiskImager had done something wrong so I used Rufus to create the bootable USB. This time when I browsed the files in windows explorer they would appear, so I assume I'm on the right path.

When I tried to boot from USB with newly created bootable USB I unfortunately encountered the same problem with a blank screen.

I'd like to ask whether it was correct to use Win32DiskImager or Rufus to create my bootable USB and if anyone has any suggestions how I can resolve this issue.

Thank you

Hi, I had the same issue when installing Kali.
    First you have to know that the following guide is correct
    http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...ve-usb-install

It happens that the usb drive will not be readable in windows, because it becomes a raw partition, so windows cannot access to it.
    You can check that there is some information through diskmgmt

Then you need to change the bios, you have to disable "Secure boot".
    Then you will start your windows again, and restarted from the Windows Settings, Updates & Security, Recovery, "Advanced stat-up", Restart now

The computer will restart and it will offer you several types of booting options
    Select "Use a device" and on this screen you will have more options than before
    select USB Hard Drive- Generic USB Flash Disk

And kali will boot

Have a nice day