Thread: Has Anyone got Kali installed on a MSI laptop?

Has Anyone got Kali installed on a MSI laptop?

I have been having issues with Kali in virtualbox. It runs fine but I am having issues with some of the tools available.

After these issues I have decided to install Kali, but have read that MSI laptops are not very positive with Linux distros. People have a lot of issues installing.

My laptop is a MSI GS40 phantom...I am just wondering if anyone else has Kali installed on the same laptop or a similar MSI laptp?

No, but my rule with Kali on new hardware is this: try it out on the target machine using a live DVD. Play around with several of the tools, and see how it works. In my experience, if it works in live mode, it will install & work ok.

Hello,
    I have a MSI GL62 that actually never tried Kali but different variations of Ubuntu. (Gnome, XFCE, Mate) My laptop was working fine with a few glitches on Ubuntu, hope this post will help you :

* In windows, I was able to use loudness to increase sound output but it wasn't possible in Ubuntu
    * My laptop had 6th gen Intel I7 with onboard graphics chip and Nvidia one. With default drivers it wasn't possible to use onboard chip, additional drivers was working but if I changed to onboard card, suspend / resume wasn't working. This is still a general issue for every Linux distro from what I know.
    * Keyboard FN shortcuts was working.

I would let you know if I try Kali on GL62.

Quote Originally Posted by ErkanA View Post
    Hello,
    I have a MSI GL62 that actually never tried Kali but different variations of Ubuntu. (Gnome, XFCE, Mate) My laptop was working fine with a few glitches on Ubuntu, hope this post will help you :

* In windows, I was able to use loudness to increase sound output but it wasn't possible in Ubuntu
    * My laptop had 6th gen Intel I7 with onboard graphics chip and Nvidia one. With default drivers it wasn't possible to use onboard chip, additional drivers was working but if I changed to onboard card, suspend / resume wasn't working. This is still a general issue for every Linux distro from what I know.
    * Keyboard FN shortcuts was working.

I would let you know if I try Kali on GL62.
    Hi, I did attempt to install Ubuntu on my MSI GS40 but had trouble. I can not even boot into Ubuntu live from the USB...it just crashes every single time that it is in the loading stage.

The grub menu shows up fine, with all of the options for Ubuntu, but when I attempt to use live or even install from the menu it just crashes out while loading! I purchased this laptop to install Ubuntu and use Kali specifically...I would have had to keep windows for the programs that I use for video editing, but I did purchase it because of it's good specs...I am not a gamer, but I did want something powerful to pen test with.

Hii, I have been saarching for boot problems for various Linux distros and I found out the problem is nouveau drivers these days many Linux distros provide Nouveau Drivers which are not very perfect for Optimus Drives basically MSi comes with a powerful graphics like Nvidia GTX960 and so on Nouveau driver is not working properly after searching a lot in the internet I found this which have solved my problem https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...iving-me-crazy!
    My Graphic driver is Nvidia GTX 960M. Hope the above link will solve your problem.bye...